LeRoy Bailey Jr
- 1 Attributed to the Archbishop
- 1.1 Relationships
- 1.2 Christian Concepts
- 1.3 Elements of Life
- 2 About The Archbishop
- 3 On his Book, A Solid Foundation
- 4 External links
Attributed to the Archbishop
- [During 10:45am Service on June 14th 2007]]
- "There's not a time that I come into this church and stand in the holy place and do not need God to speak into my life,"- From a sermon entitled: We Need GOD
- " 'Father, I stretch my hand to thee!'
Why do I stretch my hand to him? Because their weak hands,their weak hands, and their feeble hands, I know What I'm talking about, children. My hands are weak, My hands are feeble; But His hands are strong, His hands are secure, His hands are stable.
Father I stretch My hand to thee,
No other Help I know
I can't do enough for myself. I can't do enough for my children. I can't do enough for you. And You can't do enough for the people around you, You can't do enough for your family, You can do all you can do BUT STILL YOU NEED GOD!
If you withdraw thyself from me
where there shall I go?
What did Thine only Son endure
Before I drew my breath?
What pain, what labor, to secure
My soul from endless death!.
I need GOD in the morning!
I need Him in the noonday!
I need Him late at night!
I need Him in my going in and in my coming out!
I need Him in rising and in my falling!"
- From a sermon entitled: We Need GOD
- "You need God at every turn in life"
- From a sermon entitled: We Need GOD
- "Ladies and Gentlemen, there is not an area of your life that you can have an issue that God cannot meet your need."- From a sermon entitled: We Need GOD
- "Just one more thing I need to tell you, and its just about me, it may fit your case,I don't know if it will but it fit mine, You Know what, If it had not been for the Lord on my side, where would I be?, If It had not been for the Lord who was on my side, where would I be?, Baby, he kept my enemies away, he let the sun shine through a cloudy day, He rocked me in the Cradle of his arms, when he knew I'd been battered and scared, If had not been for the Lord who was on my side
One More thing I need to tell you about him, David said "When my mother and my father forsake me than the Lord will pick me up"! He's been a mother!,He's been a Father, He's been a Sister and Brother,! My Soul, My Soul, My Soul doth magnify the Lord, Thank You, Lord!" - From a sermon entitled: We Need GOD
- [From 8am service February 24th 2008]
And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased." Matthew 3:17 (New International Version)
Wow, man I'm tellin' you everyday of your life, are you listening to me ladies and gentleman, are you listening, children? Are you listening my brothers and sisters? Every day of your life God is saying 'This is my beloved son','This my beloved daughter'. Awe ya'll make me sick, this is true, He says,'This is my beloved son', 'This my beloved daughter'! Every day God is saying it about you, Everyday God is speaking a word of blessing over your life, But the Devil wants to steal the joy."-From a sermon entitled: Abundant Overflowing Thought
With Other People
- [During 8:00am Service on February 14th 2007]]
- "Listen, we learned that before we went to college that 'association brings about assimilation', 'one bad apple can ruin the whole bunch'. Wow, it like this when you run with people, it doesn't matter who they are, either they will conform to you or you will conform to them. -From a sermon entitled: Abundant Overflowing Thought
- "You are surrounded by people who are pulling on you, when you need to be pulling on them. But they can't do it, and they've told you you can't do it, 'No, way in the world you can do it', 'No, way in the world you can have the dream you have or reach the vision you possess, but God says 'you can'."-From a sermon entitled: Abundant Overflowing Thought
- " You can't allow everyone to speak into your life. Now some of you, and I hope you're not this kind of person I'm talking to I'm using common language and phases and that kind of a thing, but some of you, want everybody to like you, worst mistake you've ever make in your life. You want everybody to be your friend, You want everybody to be your bosom buddy, You want everybody to be part of your possy-Wrong Suggestions, You can't allow everyone to speak into your life and this is why
Do not be deceived: “Evil company corrupts good habits."- First Corinthians 15:33 (KJV)
"Do not be misled: "Bad company corrupts good character."- First Corinthians 15:33 (NIV)
Some of the worst mistakes I've ever made have being around the wrong people and listening to the wrong people. Some of you a married to people you have no business being married to because you listened. Some of you had sex before you were ready to have sex, because you listened, you lost your virginity and not only did you lose your virginity but you lost your integrity, because you listened." -From a sermon entitled: Abundant Overflowing Thought
- This is what Jesus said and where we need to be;
10Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan!
When your husband goes to talkin' crazy and actin' a fool and When your wife goes to talkin' crazy and actin' a fool When your child goes to talkin' crazy and actin' a fool tell'em 'Get Away from me Satan' Get Back! I know your scared but tomorrow morning when your boss goes to talkin' crazy and acting foolish and trying to get you to do thing that you have no business doing Tell'em get away from me Satan'. Let'em write you up but I'll tell you one thing he won't come back to you like that no more.
For it is written: 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.
Some of ya'll scared, that why you can't move, you're held in your seat, You scared but you better get some strength in your character, and in heart, and in your mind, and ijn your thought life, and in your voice, you8 better tell'em 'Get Back, I'm God's Property'-From a sermon entitled: Abundant Overflowing Thought
- "Do you have any friends like that? People who you think are supposed to watch your back, That you can rely on and depend on, to protect your image, People that you love , that you care about and you trust with your resources [and they fail you] that is why you can put your trust in confidence in a person. You need God."'- From a sermon entitled: We Need GOD
With His Wife Reathie
- Think for your self Godly thoughts, Listen. My life is to important for me to allow you to think for me, unless, we have the same motives,the same ambitions, or the same goals Amos 3:3 says How Can two walk together, except they be agreed? Now, I'm just gonna tell you just like it is, I love my wife, and we've been to together for 33 years, been together along time, longer than that, But there's no way in the world she could live with me and me could be with her if's she's on one page an I'm on the other, I'm not living with nobody,I'm not sleeping with nobody, I'm not eating with nobody, and we're going in different directions, somebody got to get on the same page" -From a sermon entitled: Abundant Overflowing Thought
- "People think I'm mean, Honary, contrary to all others, I mean to do right. My name is LeRoy Bailey Jr. My daddy taught me when I was a little boy ' I don't scratch, when i don't Itch.' ' I don't bow, I don't scrape, I don't beg, I don't mistreat people, But you can't run over me and don't mistake my meekness for weakness1"-From a sermon entitled: Abundant Overflowing Thought
With The Church
- "Some of you would not be in the trouble your in now or tomorrow the troublr your going to be in if you'd open up this book for yourself and read what God has to say and quit listening to other people and the lies of the devil, The devil is a liar!""--From a sermon entitled: Abundant Overflowing Thought
- ”It is important to know that the word “church” literally means, the assembled ones or the ones gathered together. ‘’’It does not refer to a building, but to people’’’ In other words the church is not a building, it’s a community. It’s a community brought together by the one thing we all hold in common, a relationship with God through Jesus Christ. This is the very foundation of the church. That is what unites us and absolutely nothing can divide us from gathering in His Kingdom. So, no matter who you are or where you are from; no matter what language you speak or what clothes you wear; you are welcomed in the community of The First Cathedral – the church for all people.” From the June 2006 Issue of The First Word
- "If you consider yourself a black church or a white church, you've missed it, said.God wants
us to be all things to all People"
- "it takes Wisdom, It takes Courage, It takes Gravity, It takes Foresight, It takes Integrity, It takes Character to take Jesus's Position, to have his thoughtlife, and conscienceness.
Why because the Devil sows seeds of Destruction all the time. And Listen to how he sows them, He Sows them through our mothers, and through our Fathers, and through our sisters, and brothers and our friends, and our associates, he plants and he plots to demoralize us and disenfranchise God from the throne of a person's dignity; and whenever he will destroy and defraud you of your dignity; then if he can destroy and defraud you of your dignity, he can take away your destiny!
- "If You Keep your mind stayed on Jesus he'll give you peace, that passes all understanding."
- From a sermon entitled: We Need GOD
- " In the Book of Philippians(Chapter) Two that he thought it robbery not to be equal with God he emptied himself, he took the form of a man; of a human being, the form of a servant, therefore God has exalted him to the highest place; and said to us “therefore at the name of Jesus every knee must bow”:
I don’t care what kind of knee it is, King, Queen, Presidents, Potentates, Monarchs.
I don’t care what color, white, black, red yellow, blue, polka-dot.
I don’t care who you are, from the white house to the poorhouse.
I don’t care from the cradle to the grave- it makes any difference what social status you have.
You may have no degree you may have a B.A. you may have a PhD. you may have gradated Magna cum lade, cum lade or thank ya Lordy,-
It doesn’t makes any difference, Every knee shall bow, every tongue shall confess Jesus is Lord to the praise of God the father!"
- From a sermon entitled: What to do When You Have Nothing Left"
Lordship of Christ
- "Is he your Lord on Sunday? If He is, He ought be Your Lord on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday Thursday, Friday and Saturday" - From a sermon entitled: He Is Lord
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved -John 3:16-17-
(Question):"Saved from what?"
(Answer) "Distress, Depression, Isolation, Withdrawal, Fragility, Insensitivity, Somebry, Melancholy. Anything that steals your life, that steals your joy ,anything that takes away your joy anything that takes away your hope anything that takes away your self esteem .God Sent Jesus!, to delver you and to deliver me."
- From a sermon entitled: What to do when you have nothing Left"
Power of the Tongue
To man belong the plans of the heart, but from the LORD comes the reply of the tongue.- Proverbs 16:1
"What I m trying to say to you is you get what you say and what you say come by way of what you think." -From a sermon entitled: Abundant Overflowing Thought
"The Fall of Man"
Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the LORD God had made. He said to the woman, "Did God really say, 'You must not eat from any tree in the garden'?" The woman said to the serpent, "We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, but God did say, 'You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.' "
4 "You will not surely die," the serpent said to the woman. 5 "For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."
6 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves. Genesis 3:1-7 (New International Version)
"Look at it, Look at it, Look at the power of suggestion, the power of seeding a thought, Adam and Eve entire environment was changed because of receiving a suggestion that improper, that was unfounded, that was unprofitable, that was ignoble, that was unreliable, that was unobtainable. Had Eve not given the devil the keys to her thought life, there would not be a hell on earth or an eternal hell for people or for the angels (demons).The devil is a Liar."-From a sermon entitled: Abundant Overflowing Thought
Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil. 2After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. The tempter came to him and said, "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.- Matthew 4:1-3" NIV
Wow, I like that, see thats the way the devil does it, every time you make an error, every time you make a mistake and I mean it's nothing but a mistake. The first thing he says is 'if you are what you say you are', 'If you are a preacher',' If you were a Christian' that's the devil, every time you here it from somebody, Did you here what I said?, Every time you hear somebody make a suggestion like that, remember that's not them, that's the devil! And I don't want to go too much further without tellin you this;' Before the devil even opens his mouth you should already know who you are', I won't shake you it won't bother you, if you already know who you are!"
Elements of Life
- [Refering to Building of The First Cathedral's Family Life Center.]
- "What's at stake if we don't do this?Answer: We will miss a generation.
A generation will not have the Hope;
A generation will not have the faith;
A generation will not have the Courage;
A generation will not have the Strength;
A generation will not have the Tenacity;
A generation will not have the Boldness;
A generation will not have the Vision;
And they will fail. And they will miss reaching the potential God has for them.
An old preacher down there in Mississippi said during one of his late night services: He said 'Chillen, we gon aim for the moon tonight but if we fall among stars we still will be on high ground'
If we don't do what we ought do, these children will never aim for the moon and if they don't aim for the moon they'll never get off the ground, That's what's at stake."-The First Cathedral- Building a Godly Heritage Campaign Video.released in 2000
- "Think about the layout of our supermarkets, and of our shopping centers, the about the layout of our bookstores, our fashion industry. Think about our transportation system, its the genius of God that works in us. Think about the great thinkers of our time and those times before and in antiquity. Think about Aristotle, Plato and Socrates and Memonodes and Pythorgorus Hariclitus and Rodan and George Washington Carver and Booker T Washington and Thomas Jefferson and Thomas Edison and Oprah Winfrey and those liberation thinkers like Harriet Tubman and Sojourner Truth and Marcur Garvy and Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr., Nelson Mandela Think about it my brothers and sisters, Cesar Sevese and George Washington Carver and Booker T Washington, Adam Clayton Powell etcetera. Think about them! , They were (thinkers).
Pitful our generation and our people today. Here it is 2008, and we're worse off now than we've ever been because our young people do not have the ability to (think).Think about it! How pitiful we are, here they are on drugs, on heroin, on cocaine, alcoholics. Here they are at the disposal of these kingpins and etcetera, because they can't (think).Here they are making gangs families because they can't (think)"-From a sermon entitled: Abundant Overflowing Thought
8Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9"All this I will give you," he said, "if you will bow down and worship me.-Matthew 4:1-3 NIV
He didn't know that 'The Earth is the Lord's"!, Oh I hope you're not like that, You know we like things, Come on talk to me, we like stuff Come on we like stuff, I said we like things, We like stuff, We like nice houses We like nice clothes, we like good jobs, Listen, we want money in the bank, but you just can't get it any ol' kind of way 'The Earth is the Lord's and the fulness thereof!, the world and everything that belongs in it"
Success and Failure
- "Commit to the LORD whatever you do, Commit to the LORD whatever you do, Commit to the LORD whatever you do! and your plans will succeed. There ought not be a person in this church that is a failure, and I want to go on record, I want to go on record and say 'if your life is not what you want it to be, and you're not succeeding, you're not having productivity, you're not having success because you're not putting it in God's hands."-From a sermon entitled: Abundant Overflowing Thought
The Business World
- "You cannot Adhere to the teachings of the church on Sunday and not apply to the marketplace on Monday" - From a sermon entitled: He Is Lord
- " I look at Paris Hilton, think about her parents fortune and her grandparents fortune, She thought she had it all together. A whole lot of people think that, that when you got money you can do anything you want to do. But I want to tell you there are some things money can't do for you.
Money can buy you a house but can't buy you a home.
Money can buy you food to put on your table but can't by an appetite
Money can buy you one of the most finest Mattress in the world and a nice bed to sleep in But can't buy you sleep." -From a sermon entitled: We Need GOD
4Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'" Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. "If you are the Son of God," he said, "throw yourself down. For it is written:
" 'He will command his angels concerning you, and they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone..
"Every time I Look at that girl on television,I admire her not because she's a celebrity, I don't admire her celebreality, I admire her because she's a child of God and doesn't know it,.I'm talkin' 'bout Britney Spears. It breaks my heart. Anna Nicole, It broke my heart, you know I knew what she was doing, I didn't like what she was doing, But I know she's a child of God, and I see people all the time, who have so much that don't know they have, so much beauty, inner beauty and so much going for them that they don't know's goin', But the Devil will take everything from you, if you don't know who you are in Christ."-From a sermon entitled: Abundant Overflowing Thought
- [During 8am Service on May 6th 2007]]
- "If Love is Blind, Hate can see no Better."
About The Archbishop
From the Press
- "The applause began as the Reverend LeRoy Bailey Jr. rose from his chair on the altar of First Cathedral and it grew in intensity and filled the cavernous sanctuary as he slowly walked to the podium. By the time Bailey finished his short journey and stood before his congregation for the first time in its new home, more that 2,500 people were on their feet in recognition of the much larger journey he had led them on. It was Bailey's vision they said Saturday that guided The First Baptist Church of Hartford from it inception as a group of 60 people meeting in homes in 1968 to a 7,000 member congregation that built the $13 Million Cathedral they dedicated Sunday"-
- From A Solid Foundation: How to Build Your Life for the Ground Up
w:The Hartford Courant Sunday September 5th, 1999
- "I'm just thankful the Lord has allowed me to serve these people for 35 years," Bailey said in an interview between services Sunday. "God has graced me. Our ministry has continued to blossom."
"Over 20 nationalities are represented in the church, he said, "which means our flavor has changed." Bailey now considers First Cathedral a non-denominational Christian church. "We are a church for all people; we have people who come from as far as New York and Boston.
w:The Hartford Courant March 5th, 2005
As a minister for 31 years, Bailey knows that pastors need prayer as much as anyone, and that being strong for others often leaves those leading the flock without much support of their own.
"Pastors have an awesome responsibility," Bailey said later. "We are supposed to be the prophets to the community. When they come to our congregations, they are not just looking for oratorical skill, they want God's word in a way that it will benefit them."
As First Cathedral's congregation grows, so does Bailey's sphere of influence. More than 60 preachers are in training under Bailey's guidance. Some will remain with First Cathedral while others go on to churches of their own or start ministries associated with the church.
Four years after his congregation voted to give him the title of bishop at First Cathedral, Bailey was consecrated by the International Conference of Bishops during a ceremony at the church in October.
The title means that Bailey now does formally what he has long done informally -- mentor other ministers. In addition to those in training, more than 20 ministers with their own congregations also look to Bailey for guidance and advice.
"I'm primarily a shepherd of pastors," Bailey said. "I had a spiritual father who mentored me and tutored me. Everybody needs help.
w:The Hartford Courant Jan 13, 2002
On his Book, A Solid Foundation
- "In a world of quick fixes we hardly find any advice that truthfully tells us how to obtain success in a realistic yet spiritual way. In A Solid Foundation, Dr. LeRoy Bailey Jr. tells it like no one else can, exactly how to gain success in life--one building block at a time. God has allowed Dr. Bailey to build the most successful and largest church in all of the six New England states. Located in Connecticut, The First Cathedral is not just another mega-church but rather an oasis of love and a place where tattered and torn lives can be remade. This book will teach you how to go from rags to spiritual riches, from poverty to wealth, from sickness to health, from laughter to joy, all by building your own Solid Foundation. This book needs to be called, The Commonsense Manual For Building Your Life. Great Work!!!"
-Rev. Aaron Lewis- Senior Pastor