Loneliness is an emotional state in which a person experiences a powerful feeling of emptiness and isolation, of being cut off, disconnected from, and alienated towards other people. The lonely person may find it difficult or even impossible to have any form of meaningful human contact. The first recorded use of the word "lonely" was in William Shakespeare's Coriolanus.
- Loneliness has followed me my whole life. Everywhere. In bars, cars, sidewalks, stores. Everywhere. There's no escape. I'm God's lonely man.
- Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver
- They're sharing a drink they call loneliness
But it's better than drinking alone.
- Life is very long when you're lonely.
- We suffer a lot in our society from loneliness. So much of our life is an attempt to not be lonely: 'Let's talk to each other; let's do things together so we won't be lonely.' And yet inevitably, we are really alone in these human forms. We can pretend; we can entertain each other; but that's about the best we can do. When it comes to the actual experience of life, we're very much alone; and to expect anyone else to take away our loneliness is asking too much.
- It's not that I hate people, I just feel better when they're not around.
- Henry Chinaski in Bar Fly
- Loneliness is this world's worst kind of pain.
- Sabaku no Gaara in Naruto
- That is when I realized that in all of the world no one needed me. I was alone.
- Can you understand? Not having a dream... not being needed by anyone... The pain of merely being alive.
- Haku in Naruto
- Insults have broken my heart and left me weak, I looked for sympathy but there was none; I found no one to comfort me.
- Psalm 69:20
- Solitude is the profoundest fact of the human condition. Man is the only being who knows he is alone.'
- Who knows what true happiness is? Not the conventional word but the naked terror. To the lonely themselves, it wears a mask. The most miserable outcast hugs some memory or some illusion.
- Loneliness is a barrier that prevents one from uniting with the inner self.
- Loneliness and the feeling of being unwanted is the most terrible poverty.
- Don't attach yourself to anyone who shows you the least bit of attention because you're lonely. Loneliness is the human condition. No one is ever going to fill that space.
- At the innermost core of all loneliness is a deep and powerful yearning for union with one's lost self.
- You are never so lonely as when you are in a crowd.
- We are always in our own company.
- When so many are lonely… as seem to be lonely, it would be inexcusably selfish to be lonely alone.