Louis Mountbatten, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma
Louis Francis Albert Victor Nicholas George Mountbatten, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma, KG, GCB, OM, GCSI, GCIE, GCVO, DSO, PC (1900-06-25 – 1979-08-27) was a British admiral and statesman.
- As a military man who has given half a century of active Service, I say in all sincerity that the nuclear arms race has no military purpose. Wars cannot be fought with nuclear weapons. Their existence only adds to our perils because of the illusions which they have generated. There are powerful voices around the world who still give evidence to the old Roman precept—if you desire peace, prepare for war. This is absolute nuclear nonsense.
- Speech in Strasbourg, 11 May 1979.
- Equal rights for men and women!
- In a letter to his wife Edwina, asking for the right to also have affairs.
- I'm proud to say I have never been wrong about anything.
Quotes of others about Mountbatten
- You're so crooked, Dickie, if you swallowed a nail you'd shit a corkscrew.
- Sir Gerald Templer to Mountbatten