Love Story (film)
Love Story is a 1970 film written by Erich Segal coordinated with his best-selling novel, and directed by Arthur Hiller. Well-known as a tragedy, it is considered one of the most romantic films of all time.
Oliver Barrett IV
- [first lines] What can you say about a twenty-five-year-old girl who died? That she was beautiful and brilliant? That she loved Mozart and Bach, the Beatles, and me?
- Oliver Barrett IV: Hey what makes you so sure I went to prep school?
- Jennifer Cavelleri: You look stupid and rich.
- Oliver Barrett IV: Actually I'm smart and poor.
- Jennifer Cavelleri: Uh-uh, I'm smart and poor.
- Oliver Barrett IV: What makes you so smart?
- Jennifer Cavelleri: I wouldn't go for coffee with you.
- Oliver Barrett IV: Yeah well I wouldn't ask you.
- Jennifer Cavelleri: Well, that's what makes you stupid.
- Jennifer Cavelleri: You're gonna flunk out if you don't study.
- Oliver Barrett IV: I am studying.
- Jennifer Cavelleri: Bullshit. You're looking at my legs.
- Oliver Barrett IV: You know, Jenny, you're not that great looking.
- Jennifer Cavelleri: I know. But can I help it if you think so?
- Oliver Barrett IV: See, I think you're scared. You put up a big glass wall to keep from getting hurt. But it also keeps you form getting touched. It's a risk isn't it, Jenny? At least, I had the guts to admit what I felt. Someday you're gonna have to come up with the courage to admit you care.
- Jennifer Cavelleri: I care.
- Oliver Barrett IV: Why did you leave the Church?
- Jennifer Cavelleri: I don't know--I never really joined. I mean, I guess I never thought that there's any world better than this one. I mean, what can be better than Mozart, or Bach, or you?
- Phil Cavelleri: But God would bless this union in any church.
- Jennifer Cavelleri: Er, Phil, about the God bit...
- Phil Cavelleri: Yeah?
- Jennifer Cavelleri: Well, we're sort of negative about that, too.
- Phil: About God? About anybody's god?
- Oliver Barrett IV: See, we neither...one of us believe...and we won't be hypocrites.
- Oliver Barrett III: If you marry her now, I'll not give you the time of day.
- Oliver Barrett IV: Father, you don't know the time of day! [walks away]
- Phil Cavelleri: Amen.
- Boy: It hasn't started yet.
- Phil Cavelleri: How am I supposed to know? I've never been to a do-it-yourself wedding before.
- [last lines]
- Oliver Barrett III: Oliver, I want to help.
- Oliver Barrett IV: Jenny's dead.
- Oliver Barrett III: Oh Oliver, I'm so sorry.
- Oliver Barrett IV: Love means never having to say you're sorry.
- Note: the bolded line is ranked #13 in the American Film Institute's list of the top 100 movie quotations in American cinema.
- Ali McGraw - Jennifer Cavalieri
- Ryan O'Neal - Oliver Barrett IV
- John Marley - Phil Cavalieri
- Ray Milland - Oliver Barrett III
- Russell Nype - Dean Thompson
- Sydney Walker - Dr. Shapely
- Tommy Lee Jones - Hank Simpson