Marc Chagall (1887-07-07 – 1985-03-28) was a Russian-Jewish painter who was born in Belarus, then part of the Russian Empire. Among the celebrated painters of the 20th century, he is associated with the modern movements after Impressionism.
- If a symbol should be discovered in a painting of mine, it was not my intention. It is a result I did not seek. It is something that may be found afterwards, and which can be interepreted according to taste.
- Marc Chagall 1887-1985: Painting As Poetry by Ingo F. Walther, Rainer Metzger, p.78
- I sometimes have the impression that I have been born, between heaven and earth..the more I work the more I tried to align these paintings with a distant dream. 
- I do not believe that scientific aims serve the cause of art well. Impressionism and Cubism are alien to me. It seem to me that art is first and foremost a condition of the soul.
- In our life there is a single color as on an artist palette, which provides the meaning of life and art... It is the color of love.