The surrender of life is nothing to sinking down into acknowledgment of inferiority.John C. Calhoun
- Quapropter bono christiano, sive mathematici, sive quilibet impie divinantium... cavendi sunt, ne consortio daemoniorum irretiant.
- Translation: Therefore, a good Christian should beware that mathematicians, and any others who prophesy impiously... may be entangled in the companionship of demons.
- St. Augustine, De Genesi ad Litteram
- Augustine uses "mathematicians" in this context to refer mainly to astrologers and occultists using numerology.
- Die Mathematiker sind eine Art Franzosen; redet man mit ihnen, so übersetzen sie es in ihre Sprache, und dann ist es alsobald ganz etwas anderes.
- Translation: Mathematicians are [like] a sort of Frenchmen; if you talk to them, they translate it into their own language, and then it is immediately something quite different.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- I have hardly ever known a mathematician who was capable of reasoning.
- A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there.
- A topologist is one who doesn't know the difference between a doughnut and a coffee cup.
- You know we all became mathematicians for the same reason: we were lazy.
- The mathematician has reached the highest rung on the ladder of human thought.
- There are two kinds of mistakes. There are fatal mistakes that destroy a theory; but there are also contingent ones, which are useful in testing the stability of a theory.
- Give us something to take home!
- Some of you may have had occasion to run into mathematicians and to wonder therefore: How they got that way
- It is impossible to be a mathematician without being a poet in soul.
- Think Explore Solve Lookback.
- lottery: Taxation for the mathematically inept.