If thou wilt make a man happy, add not unto his riches but take away from his desires.Epicurus
- The precursors to a civilization that’s going under are the same, time and time again. ... What's human sacrifice if not sending guys off to Iraq for no reason? 
- If you're going to wear three hats, you'd better grow two more heads.
- On his involvement in Braveheart (1995) as actor, director and producer.
- I don't think of myself as either American or Australian really, I'm a true hybrid. It's a good thing for me because both of them are really good countries.
- My family means more to me than the artificial trappings of my career. If ever I had to choose between my career and my family, the wife and kids would definitely come out on top.
- Excerpted from Wensley Clarkson's "Mel Gibson; Living Dangerously", page 300.
- I'm not anti-Semitic. My Gospels are not anti-Semitic. I've shown it to many Jews and they're like, it's not anti-Semitic. It's interesting that the people who say it's anti-Semitic say that before they saw the film, and they said the same thing after they saw the film.
- I don't feel like I want to get in front of a camera any more. I like getting, you know, just being a slob behind a camera and watching other people look good. You know, I might not hurry back. I might go and go somewhere no-one can find me. You know where that is? You know where the place is no-one can find you? I was thinking of pitching my tent right next to the weapons of mass destruction. Then no-one would find me.
- They take it up the ass. [pointing at his posterior] This is only for taking a shit.
- Discussing homosexuals in an interview with El Pais magazine, December 1991
- I became an actor despite that. But with this look, who's going to think I'm gay? It would be hard to take me for someone like that. Do I sound like a homosexual? Do I talk like them? Do I move like them?
- Discussing the perception that many actors are gay in an interview with El Pais magazine, December 1991
- Hey, I'm for love, not war. How about we have a beer?
- An intoxicated Gibson to the infuriated driver he had just rear ended in Toronto. In 1984 he pleaded guilty to drunk driving and was fined $300 and banned from driving in Canada for 3 months. While in court, he apologized to the people of Toronto and thanked the police. Excerpted from Wensley Clarkson's "Mel Gibson; Living Dangerously," page 175.
- The L.A. Times, it's an anti-Christian publication, as is the New York Times.
- Why are they calling her a Nazi? …Because modern secular Judaism wants to blame the holocaust on the Catholic Church. And it's a lie. And it's revisionism. And they've been working on that one for a while.
- This is not a Christian versus Jewish thing. '(Jesus) came into the world and it knew him not.' Looking at Christ's crucifixion, I look first at my own culpability in that.
- Discussing The Passion of the Christ in an interview on Eternal Word Television Network, March 2004
- The only way to maintain a moderate sum of happiness in this life, is not to worry about the future or regret the past too much.
- Fucking Jews... Jews are responsible for all wars in the world.
- July 28, 2006 on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu, California after pulled over for speeding and drunk driving. 
- What are you looking at sugartits?
- July 28, 2006 addressing a female police officer after being pulled over for speeding and drunk driving in Malibu, California. 
- After drinking alcohol on Thursday night, I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed. I drove a car when I should not have, and was stopped by the L.A. County sheriffs. The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person. I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable. I am deeply ashamed of everything I said and I apologize to anyone who I have offended. Also, I take this opportunity to apologize to the deputies involved for my belligerent behavior. They have always been there for me in my community and indeed probably saved me from myself. I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry. I have battled the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse. I apologize for any behavior unbecoming of me in my inebriated state and have already taken necessary steps to ensure my return to health.
- Apology issued July 29, 2006 for his behavior and comments during the incident with his drunk driving and speeding. 
- I fully support the efforts of Mr. & Mrs. Schindler to save their daughter, Terry Schiavo, from a cruel starvation. Terri's husband should sign the care of his wife over to her parents so she can be properly cared for.
- 'Mel Gibson, an Australian fascist and ham actor'
- Christopher Hitchens in 'God Is Not Great'