Metal Gear is a series of video games by Konami Computer Entertainment. The Metal Gear series centers around Solid Snake, a genetically engineered (cloned) super-soldier. As a member of an elite task force FOX-HOUND, Snake penetrated and destroyed several terrorist organizations, including one led by Big Boss, his genetic father.
Further adventures involve his disarming a nuclear crisis on a remote island in Alaska (and killing his genetic brother in so doing), and helping, as a part of his NGO, Philanthropy, to document and eradicate Metal Gears, including Arsenal Gear, a supercenter for information and warfare built in the New York Harbor by the Patriots.
- 1 Metal Gear Solid
- 2 Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
- 3 Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
- 4 Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
- 5 Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
- 6 Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
- 7 Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
- 8 See also
- 9 External links
- If you're going to doubt yourself, I'll leave you here. [...] Never doubt yourself. Only let it make you stronger.
- Besides, some people just need killing.
- This isn't glorious! It's just plain killing! Violence isn't a sport!
- I'm just a man who's good at what he does: killing.
- I never felt truly alive until I was staring death in the face.
- A strong man doesn't need to read the future. He makes his own.
- Stay alert! He'll be through here, I know it. I'm going to go swat down a couple of bothersome flies.
- I always knew that one day I would meet you. The man who stole what was rightly mine... the man who stole my birthright.
- And now, after the sacrifice of our brothers... after 30 long years, finally the two of us meet. The brother of light and the brother of dark.
- So, the Snake's finally come out of its hole! Are you ready now, my brother?
- Ask the father that you killed! I'll send you to hell to meet him!!
- (after crushing Gray Fox with Rex foot) Foolish man. He prayed for death, and it found him.
- There's a killer inside you. You don't have to deny it; We were created to be that way.
- (as Snake aims at him with the Stinger) Now in front of you, I can finally die. After Zanzibar, I was taken from the battle neither truly alive nor truly dead; an undying shadow in a world of light. But soon... soon, it will finally... end.
- (last words while Rex foot is crushing him) Snake... we're not tools of the government or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing... the only thing I was good at. But at least I always fought for what I believed in... Snake... farewell.
- I am neither enemy nor friend. I am back from a world where such words are meaningless.
- It is nothing so trivial as revenge. A fight to the death with you. Only in that can my soul find respite. I will kill you or you will kill me... it makes no difference.
- Do you remember now, Snake... the feel of battle... the clashing of bone and sinew?
- (after Snake punches him a few times) Now... we can fight as warriors... hand to hand... it is the basis of all combat. Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.
- Now hand to hand, the most basic of all combat.
- NOW, I will show you why i am the most powerful practioner of psychokinesis and telepathy in the world!! no snake, there's no need for words
- The first mind I dove into was my father's. I could see nothing but hatred for me in his heart. My mother had died giving birth to me. I was sure he was going to kill me. When I came to, my village was engulfed in flames. I see you have suffered the same trauma.
- Humans were never meant to bring each other happiness. From the moment we are thrown into this world, we bring each other nothing but pain and agony.
- I never believed in the boss' revolution. His dreams of conquest do not interest me. I just wanted an excuse to kill as many people as I could.
- The boss was right. It is my existence which is no longer needed in this world. But, my body will not lie here - my spirit AND my flesh will become one with the ravens. In that way, I shall return to mother earth who bore me.
- The path you walk on has no end. Each step you take is paved with the corpses of your enemies...Their souls will haunt you forever... you shall have no peace... Hear me, Snake! I will be watching you! My spirit... will be watching... you!
- Yes, but there is another event I excel at. It is called the ear pull. Contestants pull each other's ears while enduring the harsh cold. It tests spiritual as well as physical strength.
- We will see if there is iron in your words.
- Sioux means snake, and a snake is an animal to be feared.
- I witnessed the brutality....the stupidity of mankind through the scope of my rifle.
- I was born on a battlefield. Raised on a battlefield. Gunfire, sirens and screams... they were my lullabies... Hunted like dogs day after day... driven from our ragged shelters... That... was my life. Each morning, I'd wake up... and find a few more of my family or friends dead beside me. I'd stare at the morning sun...and pray to make it through the day. The governments of the world turned a blind eye to our misery. But then... he appeared. My hero... Saladin... he took me away from all that...
- I'll send you a love letter my dear. Do you know what that is? It's a bullet, straight from my gun to your heart.
- I've been using a gun like this since I was 8 years old. I'm more comfortable with it than I am with a bra.
- This is just like one of my Japanese animes!
- The whole reason I got into science in the first place was because I was no good with people. I was scared of them. I was scared of life. I thought that I could never understand them because they're so illogical. But I've finally learned how to like people. I'm not afraid anymore.
- The truth is... my grandfather was part of the Manhattan Project. He suffered with the guilt for the rest of his life. And my father... he was born on August 6th, 1945.
- Three generations of Emmerich men. We must have the curse of nuclear weapons written into our DNA.
- Snake.. people die. But death is not defeat.
- Snake: I managed to sneak in my smokes.
Naomi: Just how did you manage to do that?
Snake: In my stomach.
- Mr. X: Neither enemy, nor friend.
- Otacon: Huh? We didn't lie to you. We just didn't tell you everything.
- Raiden: Still ticking, eh?
Vamp:Unfortunately hell had no vacancies.
- Colonel: Honestly though, you have played the game for a long time. Don't you have anything to do with your time?
- Colonel: You wouldn't be trying to give yourself a bogus score using some ingenious trick would you? That's just about as low as anyone could possibly stoop! I can't believe you sometimes...
- Colonel: (If you kill dozens of enemies before Arsenal Gear) "You seem to get a real thrill out of slaughtering the enemy. Are you frustrated about something?"
- Colonel: I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hari-kari rock. I need scissors! 61!
- (While inside Arsenal Gear, affected by virus)
- Colonel: Snake... remember what de Gaulle said... 'the graveyards are full of indispensable men.' Snake, you're all alone and surrounded by bad guys, try to avoid getting into a fight when ever you can.
- Rose: We've always kept records of our lives. Through words, pictures, symbols... from tablets to books...
Colonel: But not all the information was inherited by later generations. A small percentage of the whole was selected and processed, then passed on. Not unlike genes, really.
Rose: That's what history is, Jack.
Colonel: But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible.
- Colonel: The digital society furthers human flaws and selectively rewards development of convenient half-truths. Just look at the strange juxtapositions of morality around you.
- Naked Snake/Big Boss: A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
- Major Zero: You're a ghost, Snake. In every sense of the word.
- Major Ocelot: Thank you, for teaching me the joy of the revolver.
- Colonel Volgin: This is war, Major. A Cold War, fought with information and espionage. We must root out spies wherever they hide. It is kill or be killed.
- The End: The moment you close your eyes on the battlefield is the moment you never open them again.
- Eva: I realized that the gravity in this universe was holding me back. That's all. People and their countries are both changed by the environment. And by the times.
- Eva: There's a world of difference between this country and America. But it's only a difference of position. A difference of perspective. Coming here made me realize something. Half of what I'd been told was a complete and utter lie... the other half was a conveniently constructed lie.
- Eva: It's only when I'm on the bike that I'm free to be the real me. I only get off my bike when I fall in love or fall dead...
- Eva:Scholars tell us that the first spy in history was the snake in the Book of Genesis. In that story it was Eve who was tempted by the snake in the garden of Eden. But this time around it was I who tempted the snake and got away with the forbidden fruit of knowledge. Forgive me, Snake.
- The Fury: I am The Fury. The flames of my rage will incinerate you. I came back from space. As I returned, I had one vision. The world set ablaze. And do you know what I saw there? Fury! A great and terrible Fury at being alive. Now you're going to feel the scorching heat of that horrible blackness.
- The Fury: Boss...this is the end of the Cobras. You've got to live on. You're the only one left. I'm off, to join The Sorrow.(He removes his helmet and the flames converge upon his face.) Behold the flames of Fury. The fires of hell will purge me clean. ( He staggers,grasping madly for his igniter. He is clearly out of his mind. ) I can see it. Mission Control, do you read me? I'm coming home. I see the earth!"(He blasts off directly into the ceiling)
- Sokolov: I would once again find myself creating weapons of mass murder. Every day I help create things that should never be used. Things that should never have existed in the first place.
- Sokolov: All I wanted to do was build space rockets... But it was not to be. The space race between America and Russia became the prey of politicians. The space race and the arms race is one and the same. Missiles, rockets... What's the difference? Scientists are always being used.
- Just because soldiers are on the same side right now doesn't mean they always will be. Having personal feelings about your comrades is one the worst sins you can commit. Politics determine who you face on the battlefield. And politics are a living thing. They change along with the times. Yesterday's good might be tomorrow's evil.
- People's values change over time. And so do the leaders of a country. So there's no such thing as an enemy in absolute terms. The enemies we fight are only in relative terms, constantly changing with the times.
- Sooner or later, your conscience is going to bother you. In the end, you have to choose whether you're going to live as a soldier, or just another man with a gun.
- Which will it be, Jack? Loyalty to your country, or loyalty to me? Your country, or your old mentor? The mission, or your beliefs? Your duty to your unit, or your personal feelings? You don't know the truth yet. But sooner or later you'll have to choose.
- Life's end... isn't it beautiful? It's almost tragic. When life ends, it gives off a final, lingering aroma. Light is but a farewell gift from the darkness to those on their way to die. I've been waiting, Snake, for a long time. Waiting for your birth, your growth, and the finality of today.
- A world without communism or capitalism... that is the world I wanted to see... But reality continued to betray me.
- Solid Snake: War has changed. It's no longer about nations, ideologies or ethnicity. It's an endless series of proxy battles, fought by mercenaries and machines. War, and its consumption of life, has become a well-oiled machine. War has changed. ID tagged soldiers carry ID tagged weapons, use ID tagged gear. Nanomachines inside their bodies enhance and regulate their abilities. Genetic control. Information control. Emotion control. Battlefield control. Everything is monitored, and kept under control. War has changed. The age of deterrence has become the age of control. All in the name of averting catastrophe from weapons of mass destruction. And he who controls the battlefield, controls history. War has changed. When the battlefield is under total control, war...becomes routine.
- Solid Snake: I'm no Hero... Never was... Never will be... I'm just an old killer... Hired to do some wet work.
- Liquid Ocelot: Do you see this, Zero? We are victorious! Behold! Guns of the Patriots!
- Liquid Ocelot: (to Snake) Brother! We were not just copies of our Father!
- Big Boss: Everything has its beginning... But doesn't start at "one." It starts long before that, in chaos. The world is born... From zero. The moment zero becomes one is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes two... Two becomes ten ... ten becomes 100. Taking it all back to one solves nothing. So long as zero remains one will eventually grow to 100 again. And so our goal was to erase Zero...Even the mighty Patriots began with a single man. That one man's desires grew huge; bloated, absorbed technology began to manipulate the economy. We realized too late that we had created a beast. We had helped turn Zero into 100. His sin... was ours. And for that reason... I'm taking it upon myself to send Zero back to nothing.
- Big Boss: It all began with a bunch of old fools. Now... They've all passed away. Their era of folly is over. I'm the only one left, and soon I'll be gone, too.
- Big Boss: I never thought of you as a son. But... I always respected you, as a soldier... and as a man.
- Big Boss: Everything has its beginning. But it doesn't start at one. It starts long before that - in chaos. The world is born - from zero. The moment zero becomes one is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes two, two becomes 10, 10 becomes 100. Taking it all back to one solves nothing. So long as zero remains, one will eventually grow to 100 again.
- Big Boss: It's not about changing the world. It's about doing our best to leave the world the way it is. It's about respecting the will of others and believing in your own...Isn't that...what...you fought for? At last, I understand the meaning of what you did...At last, I understand the truth behind your courage.
- Big Boss: Know this, Zero... and... I... Liquid and Solidus... We all fought a long, bloody war for our liberty to free ourselves from systems, nations, norms and ages, but no matter how hard we fought the only liberty we found was on the inside, trapped within those limits... The Boss and I may have taken different paths but in the end, we were both trapped inside the same cage... "Liberty."
- Snake: You were the lightning in that rain, you can still shine through the darkness.
- To Raiden.
- Big Boss: A hero, forever loyal to the flames of war, rests in Outer Heaven. 193X - 1999
- The Boss: In memory of a patriot who saved the world 192X - 1964
Naked Snake/Big Boss
- I've learned something... I'm not living unless I'm in battle. So I have to find my own reason to fight. I have to pass on what's been handed down to me.
- It was four years ago, in Mozambique. There was a child soldier fighting with a guerrilla group in the struggle for independence. He killed dozens of government soldiers with just a single knife. He'd throw the enemy off guard with the innocent frankness of a young boy. Then he'd prey on them with the cold cruelty of a hunter. He spoke a little German so his enemies called him, "Frank Jaeger"... the frank hunter.
- Snake: You use fear to keep your soldiers in line. You use words to deceive your allies. You exploit those who look up to you as a mentor and then you throw them away! The country you're building is no heaven for soldiers. The place they're looking for is outside your "heaven."
- I believe in you, Snake. My sister foresaw you plunging the world into fear. I foresaw you stopping Metal Gear. It was the first time in our lives our visions weren't one and the same. I believe in you.
- Nobody, of course. The Perfect Soldier project ended in failure and was abandoned. He was the only success. That's why they gave him the code name Null. He's a lost number. He has no feelings and no memories. Not even a project number. Don't even think about fighting him. You can't possibly win, Snake.
- Snake, oh Snake, everything is clear now, you will destroy Metal Gear and you will build a new Metal Gear in its place. Snake your children Les Enfants Terribles... Snake,your son will bring the world to ruin, your son will save the world!
- Simply apply the right type of pain, to the right degree, at just the right location. It's always been my policy for persuasion, and I've found it to be quite effective.
- What has the CIA ever done for us in FOX? They sent us on the most brutal missions. And when I came back wounded, they shuffled me to a desk job. They did the same to you, too. They cast your mentor - the mother of our Special Forces - out into a foreign land and left her there to die!
- Open your eyes, Snake. This is our calling. It's all part of a greater mission. Compared to this calling, the individual wills of individual soldiers are meaningless. Those who have no calling must be given one by those who do. They must follow the teachings of those with a greater will.
- (Echoing intensely): Soldiers, hear my words! The Cold War will soon be over. For the United States and the Soviet Union no longer have the strength or authority to shape the world as they seem fit. Even as America sinks deeper into the quagmire of the Vietnam War, her allies in the West have achieved tremendous economic growth. And with the collapse of its planned economy, Russia can no longer keep up with the financial demands of her vast army. But the end of the Cold War does not mean that peace will follow. Freed from the domination of the world's superpowers, nationalism will soon be the driving force behind global politics. And the ever-widening gap between rich and poor will fan the flames of hatred between nations. Nuclear weapons will slip from the superpowers' grasp and spread throughout the world. Soon no one will know when or where the nukes will come from. Today's ally may be tomorrow's bitter enemy. Or worse - the time may come when soldiers of the same country will kill their brothers, just like you are now. Who of you can say that tomorrow you won't be aiming your rifles at your neighbors? Your comrades? Your families? Is there no one who has a grudge against you? No one who mocks you? No one who really needs you? Is there truly no one out there who would kill you? One of my men is standing amongst you right now. His instructions are to kill you - for your betrayal. Your enemy is standing right beside you. Is it you?... Or perhaps you?... This planet is like a giant bomb. See how easily it blows itself to bits with a single nuclear warhead. Or rather, a single bullet. (Cruel laughter) There he is... It's the enemy!
- I will use superior force of arms to achieve superior force of will.
- I don't have to kill anyone. These men are quite capable of doing it themselves. Humans are fragile, foolish, violent creatures. See for yourself, Snake. See what mankind truly is.
- Gene: Chaos will be created on an unprecedented scale. Worst case scenario: America ceases to exist as a nation. The existing world order crumbles. And Russia won't escape unscathed, either. Metal Gear will have been launched from a Soviet nuclear missile base. Under a storm of international criticism, the Warsaw Pact will lose its sway over the Third World. It may even faced armed conflict with NATO.
- Gene: To free the world from the Philosophers' control. I'll create a new global balance of power of my own design. My goal of building a new nation of mercenaries with only the most capable soldiers is real. But this peninsula is not the right place for it. Our nation will be an organization of shadows, without shape or form. We will lurk deep underground and intervene in conflicts all over the world. History will be ours to control. I will accomplish what the hollow shell of the Philosophers could not with a superior breed of soldier. This organization will be the true "peninsula of the dead". I call it "Army's Heaven."
- Gene: I will not allow the world to be a playground for abstract national interest and petty political gambits. I will use superior force of arms to achieve superior force of will. Thus I will make the world whole again. For I am the Successor, and this is my calling.
- Can you recall those you've killed in battle Snake?! I do! I have nightmares about them! Nearly every night! They won't leave me alone!! But I've spilled faaaaar too much blood by now, to EVER make amends! The nightmares end today!!!
- [S]oldiers like us won't find redemption in the good of the nation, or the hatred of an enemy. Soldiers need a hero. They need a man for whom they can gladly risk their lives. Can you bear the burden of knowing that you hold your men's lives in your hands, Snake?
- Betray them?! No! I'm going to END them!
- It's all part of our plan to make the world she envisioned a reality.
- This world is full of death, even if I don't kill them they die.
- I am the perfect soldier. Where I exist, there are no other soldiers.
- My memory is riddled with corpses.
- Liquid Snake: When death is entreated, the battle is decided!
- Big Boss: The nightmares? They never go away, Snake. Once you've been on the battlefield, tasted the exhilaration, the tension... it all becomes part of you. Once you've awakened the warrior within... it never sleeps again. You crave even bigger tensions, ever bigger thrills. As a mercenary, I'd think you would have realized that by now. You care nothing for power, or money, or even sex. The only thing that satisfies your cravings... is WAR! All I've done is give you a place for it. I've given you a reason to live.