Monogamy is the custom or condition of having only one mate. The word monogamy comes from the Greek word monos, which means one or alone, and the Greek word gamos, which means marriage or union.
- Monogamy among animals is a matter of biology. So is monogamy among human beings. But in the human case, monogamy is more. It is also a matter of psychology, sociology, anthropology, economics, law, ethics, theology, literature, history, philosophy, and most of the remaining humanities and social sciences as well.
- Barash, David P.; Judith Eve Lipton. The Myth of Monogamy: Fidelity and Infidelity in Animals and People, unidentified edition, pp. 191-192.
- My husband was not faithful. He thought monogamy was a type of wood. I'm like, "Honey, no — monogamy's when you just sleep with your wife." He's like, "No, bitch — that's monotony."
- Andrea Walker, comedian, Funny Ladies, Vol. 3 (2004)
- Hard work is damn near as overrated as monogamy.
- Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.
- Higgamous hoggamous Women are monogamous; Hoggamous Higgamous Men are polygamous!