Nathaniel Parker Willis
It is the paradox of life that the way to miss pleasure is to seek it first. The very first condition of lasting happiness is that a life should be full of purpose, aiming at something outside self.Hugo Black
- At present there is no distinction among the upper ten thousand of the city.
- Necessity for a Promenade Drive. Compare: "I want you to see Peel, Stanley, Graham, Sheil, Russell, Macaulay, Old Joe, and soon. They are all upper-crust here." Thomas Chandler Haliburton, Sam Slick in England, 2 Chap., xxiv.; "Those families, you know, are our upper-crust,—not upper ten thousand", James Fenimore Cooper, The Ways of the Hour, chapter vi. (1850).
- For it stirs the blood in an old man’s heart,
And makes his pulses fly,
To catch the thrill of a happy voice
And the light of a pleasant eye.
- Saturday Afternoon.
- It is the month of June,
The month of leaves and roses,
When pleasant sights salute the eyes,
And pleasant scents the noses.
- The Month of June.
- Let us weep in our darkness, but weep not for him!
Not for him who, departing, leaves millions in tears!
Not for him who has died full of honor and years!
Not for him who ascended Fame’s ladder so high:
From the round at the top he has stepped to the sky.
- The Death of Harrison.
- Wisdom sits alone
Topmost in Heaven.
- The Scholar of Thibet.
- The sin forgiven by Christ in Heaven
By man is cursed alway.
- Unseen Spirits.