Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
It is not easy, but you have to be willing to make mistakes. And the earlier you make those mistakes, the better.Jane Cahill Pfeiffer
- Yupa: "Yet another village is dead."
- Narrator: "A thousand years have passed since the collapse of industrialized civilization. A toxic jungle now spreads, threatening the survival of the last of the human race."
- Nausicaä: "Ohmu, go back to your jungle. This is not your world."
- Nausicaä: "Kai! Kui! Do you remember me?"
- Yupa: "What a strange power she has."
- Nausicaä: "You must be tired after running from that Ohmu."
- Yupa: "So, how's your family, Nausicaä? What's wrong?"
- Nausicaä: "It's... Father can't fly anymore."
- Yupa: "King Jihl?"
- Mito: "It's good to hope for a daughter who's strong like the princess, but not for one who likes to play in the toxic jungle."
- Nausicaä: "But Mito, that's where I found that Ohmu shell."
- Mito: "All I do is worry when she's running around out there. I'd trade a thousand Ohmu shells for a good night's sleep."
- Obaba: "After a thousand years of darkness, he will come, clad in blue and surrounded by fields of gold to restore mankind's connection of the Earth that was destroyed."
- Nausicaä: "And he will guide the people of this planet at last to a land of purity."
- Yupa: "The only goal I seek, Obaba, is to understand the mysteries of the toxic jungle."
- Nausicaä: "What are you so afraid of? You act like a scared little fox-squirrel."
- Kushana: "What did you call me?!"
- Nausicaä: "Don't be afraid. There's nothing to fear."
- Jihl: "Nausicaä? Nausicaa! Come here! Come here, child."
- Young Nausicaä: "Father! Mother's here too? Wait! Don't go this way! Stay away! Ah! Get back. There's nothing here. Stay away from me. Please go."
- Young Nausicaä: "Get back inside."
- Man: "She's got a baby Ohmu."
- Jihl: "The insects have bewitched her. Hand it over, child."
- Young Nausicaä: "No! It hasn't done anything wrong."
- Jihl: "Insects and humans cannot live in the same world. You know that."
- King Jihl: "You knew that."
- Young Nausicaä: "Don't kill it! Please, don't kill it! Please!"
- Asbel: "Why is it that everything that's good for you tastes so bad?"
- Yupa: "In the midst of my travels, I heard of an ominous rumor... It said that a monster from the ancient world had been excavated from beneath the city of Pejite where it had been sleeping."
- Mito: "A monster from the ancient world?"
- Yupa: "It's a God Warrior."
- Mito: "A God Warrior? You mean, the ones that burned the world in the Seven Days of Fire...? This thing ...!"
- Yupa: "All God Warriors should have become fossils. But this one managed to sleep underground for 1000 years."
- Mito: "Now that you mention it, it does seem to have a human form."
- Yupa: "Nausicaa! What are you doing here? This chamber is filled with toxic plants."
- Nausicaä: "I collected the spores and grew them down here myself. Don't worry the plants aren't poisonous."
- Yupa: "Not poisonous? Its true, the air is pure in here. But I know these plants from the jungle. These are some of the most lethal."
- Nausicaä: "I irrigated this chamber using water drawn from deep underground by the castle windmill. I used soil drawn from there as well. I found that with clean water and soil, the plants from the toxic jungle aren't poisonous. All the poison is in the soil. Even the topsoil in our valley is polluted. But...I don't understand. Who could have polluted the entire earth?"
- Yupa: "You discovered this all on your own?"
- Nausicaä: "Yes. I was hoping to find a cure for father's illness."
- Obaba: (subtitle:) "The air is full of rage."
(dub:) "The atmosphere is saturated with anger."
Voice cast (English dub only)
- Alison Lohman .... Nausicaä
- Patrick Stewart .... Yupa
- Edward James Olmos .... Mito
- Tress MacNeille .... Obaba
- Emily Bauer .... Lastelle
- Uma Thurman .... Kushana
- Chris Sarandon .... Kurotowa
- Shia LaBeouf .... Asbel
- Jodi Benson .... Lastelle's mother