Created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, Fury first appeared in Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos #1 (May 1963), a combat series that portrayed the cigar-chomping Fury as leader of an elite U.S. Army unit.
- "I want talk, I call Oprah. If I want some ass kicked, I call Captain America!"
- "And don't make it out to be something shitty; we did a lot of good shooting all the people we shot."
- "A stealth fighter is not invisible. A laser-guided bomb is still a bomb. We will lose aircraft and we will kill civilians; if you don't believe me, look at that clusterfuck the Balkan operation in ninety-nine turned out to be.
- "If this thing does go ballistic, it'll come down to infantry work, just like always. Forget Desert Storm. Nobody gets that much free pussy twice in one lifetime. American troops will die... so will anyone else who sticks their head up."
- "You work for S.H.I.E.L.D., not the Light Brigade. So long as you do your job you can ask all the questions you want."
- Fury: "Take a look down at the bottom of the hill, Steiner. Those are the people that always get fucked. Doesn't matter where you are or who's in charge of the place, or who's backing them up. The little people always get shit on. And the ultimate point of what we do is supposed to be to change that. The United Nations and its relief agencies are stupid and corrupt, but sometimes--only sometimes--you can use them to do some good. You can unfuck life for a few people, if only for a little while."
- Steiner: "That's the most you can hope for?"
- Fury: "That's the best you can do."