Paracelsus (11 November or 17 December 1493 - 24 September 1541) was an alchemist, physician, astrologer, and general occultist. Born Phillip von Hohenheim, he later took up the name Philippus Theophrastus Aureolus Bombastus von Hohenheim, and still later used the name Paracelsus.
- All is interrelated. Heaven and earth, air and water. All are but one thing; not four, not two and not three, but one. Where they are not together, there is only an incomplete piece.
- Paracelsus - Collected Writings Vol. I (1926) edited by Bernhard Aschner, p. 110
Paracelsus - Doctor of our Time (1992)
- Paracelsus - Arzt unserer Zeit (1992) by Frank Geerk
- As you talk, so is your heart.
- Belief and work, knowledge and action are one and the same thing.
- Consider that we shouldn’t call our brother a fool, since we don’t know ourselves what we are.
- God has given to all things their course and decided how high and how far they may go, not higher, not lower.
- God, our Father, has given us the life and the art of healing to protect and maintain it.
- He who conquers his enemy with meekness, wins fame.
- He who wants to govern must have insight into the hearts of men and act accordingly.
- If you have been given a talent, exercise it freely and happily like the sun: give everyone from your splendour.
- In us there is the Light of Nature, and that Light is God.
- Nothing is hidden so much that it wouldn’t be revealed through its fruit.
- Practice humility at first with man and only then before God. He who despises man, has also no respect for God.
- The art of medicine has its roots in the heart. If your heart is false, then also the doctor in you is false. If it is fair, then also the doctor is fair.
- We have Divine Wisdom in the mortal body.Whatever does harm to the body, ruins the House of the Eternal.
- We should become angels and not devils, that’s why we have been created and born into the world. Therefore be and stick to what God has chosen you for.
- What else is the help of medicine than love?
- What maintains the marriage and what is it? Only the knowledge of the hearts, that is its beginning and end.
- What we should be after death, we have to attain in life, i.e. holiness and bliss. Here on earth the Kingdom of God begins.
- Who else is the enemy of Nature but he who mistakes himself for more intelligent than Nature, though it is the highest school for all of us?
- A mortal lives not through that breath that flows in and that flows out. The source of his life is another and this causes the breath to flow.
- All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy.
- God did not create the planets and stars with the intention that they should dominate man, but that they, like other creatures, should obey and serve him.
- Life is like music, it must be composed by ear, feeling and instinct, not by rule. Nevertheless one had better know the rules, for they sometimes guide in doubtful cases, though not often.
- Medicine is not only a science; it is also an art. It does not consist of compounding pills and plasters; it deals with the very processes of life, which must be understood before they may be guided.
- Once a disease has entered the body, all parts which are healthy must fight it: not one alone, but all. Because a disease might mean their common death. Nature knows this; and Nature attacks the disease with whatever help she can muster.
- So I have been a wanderer all my life, alone and a stranger feeling alien.
- That which the dream shows is the shadow of such wisdom as exists in man, even if during his waking state he may know nothing about it ... We do not know it because we are fooling away our time with outward and perishing things, and are asleep in regard to that which is real within ourself.
- The art of healing comes from nature, not from the physician. Therefore the physician must start from nature, with an open mind.
- The human body is vapor materialized by sunshine mixed with the life of the stars.
- Thoughts give birth to a creative force that is neither elemental nor sidereal. Thoughts create a new heaven, a new firmament, a new source of energy, from which new arts flow. When a man undertakes to create something, he establishes a new heaven, as it were, and from it the work that he desires to create flows into him. ... For such is the immensity of man that he is greater than heaven and earth.
- You have given us Love as medicine, O Lord, and You want that the doctor is included in this Love, to heal the sick. Like Your Love has no end, our researching and serving should have no end.
Without Your help the doctor is helpless, but with You he is capable of the highest. You make use of us, because You like to stay in secret. It is Your will that You heal the sick through us. You pour joy of eternal life into the heart, and everyone who believes in You, will rise alive and not taste death.
Mysteriously You have united in man the forces of all elements, just like a doctor who draws from the saps of the herbs the power to heal. Let me arrange all for the benefit of the sick to the best of my powers and decision, keep away from them all harm. Let me maintain holy and pure my art and my life.
- "Prayer of Paracelsus"