There are chapters in every life which are seldom read and certainly not aloud.Carol Shields
Quotes about the past:
- "The past is utterly indifferent to its worshipers."
- "Not to know what happened before we were born is always to remain a child; to know, and blindly to adopt that knowledge as an implicit rule of life, is never to be a man."
- "No hand can make the clock strike for me the hours that are passed."
- "The present is only intelligible in the light of the past."
- "Study the past if you would divine the future."
- "The best of prophets of the future is the past."
- "Many classes are always praising the by-gone time, for it is natural that the old should extol the days of their youth; the weak, the area of their strength; the sick, the season of their vigor; and the disappointed, the springtide of their hopes!"
- "Some are so very studious of learning what was done by the ancients that they know not how to live with the moderns."
- "The past and future are veiled; but the past wears the widow's veil; the future, the virgin's."
- "Do not attempt to change the past, but instead seek to make the future"
- "The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there."
- The past always looks better than it was. It's only pleasant because it isn't here.
- Finley Peter Dunne (Mr Dooley).
- We are tomorrow's past.
- Klopsch, Louis, 1852-1910 (1896). Many Thoughts of Many Minds.