Look up, laugh loud, talk big, keep the color in your cheek and the fire in your eye, adorn your person, maintain your health, your beauty and your animal spirits.William Hazlitt
- Americans just don't know what being a movie star's all about.
- Cohen, Scott (1976-12-14). Patti Smith: Can You Hear Me Ethiopia?. Circus Magazine.
- An artist is somebody who enters into competition with God.
- Artists are traditionally resistant to labels.
- Christianity made us think there's one heaven.
- Everyone thinks of God as a man - you can't help it - Santa Claus was a man, therefore God has to be a man.
- I always enjoyed doing transgender songs.
- I can't say I was a Rasta but I went through a period when I was studying all aspects of Rastafarianism, including smoking a lot of pot while reading the Bible!
- I have a daughter who's 11 years old. Maybe she'll grow up independent and really really heavy and become a movie star and she'll play me in my life story.
- I like gettin' old
- I look at these kids, you know, and I could be their mother, their mistress, their older woman. Some of the kids at the concerts are 15.
- I only planned it out till I was 28. I figured at 28, the black dress, the gutter in Paris, I had it - like a B movie of Piaf.
- In the period where I had to live the life of a citizen - a life where, like everybody else, I did tons of laundry and cleaned toilet bowls, changed hundreds of diapers and nursed children - I learned a lot.
- Let's just say that I think any person who aspires, presumes, or feels the calling to be an artist has a built-in sense of duty.
- Mohammed personally mapped out seven heavens. If he got to seven, you know there's more.
- No, my work does not reflect my sexual preferences, it reflects the fact that I feel total freedom as an artist
- Somehow I started introducing writing into my drawings, and after a time, the language took over and I started getting very involved with the handwriting and then the look of the handwriting.
- When I was younger, I felt it was my duty to wake people up. I thought poetry was asleep. I thought rock 'n' roll was asleep.
- Never let go of that fiery sadness called desire.
- "Gloria (In Excelsis Deo)":
For somebody's sins
But not mine
- "Rock N Roll Nigger":
Look around you, all around you
Riding on a copper wave
Do you like the world around you?
Are you ready to behave?
- "People Have the Power":
People have the power
To redeem the work of fools
Upon the meek the graces shower
It's decreed the people rule
Life is filled with holes
Johnny's laying there in his sperm coffin
The angel looks down at him and says "Oh, pretty boy
Can't you show me nothing but surrender?
He spared the child and spoiled the rod
I have not sold myself to God!
About Patti Smith
- She is a soldier. She will not be defeated.
- Manson, Shirley (2004-04-15). The Immortals: The First Fifty. Rolling Stone Issue 946. Rolling Stone.