Paul Laurence Dunbar
Paul Laurence Dunbar (1872-06-27-1906-02-09) was a American poet and writer of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Dunbar gained national recognition for his 1896 book of poems, Lyrics of a Lowly Life.
- It is a little dark still, but there are warnings of the day and somewhere out of the darkness a bird is singing to the Dawn.
- Because you love me I have much achieved,
Had you despised me then I must have failed,
But since I knew you trusted and believed,
I could not disappoint you and so prevailed.
- Encouraged, In the 1913 collection of his work, The Complete Poems of Paul Laurence Dunbar.
- You are sweet, O Love, dear Love,
You are soft as the nesting dove.
Come to my heart and bring it rest
As the bird flies home to its welcome nest.
- Invitation to Love, In the 1913 collection of his work, The Complete Poems of Paul Laurence Dunbar.