Life's a bitch, and life's got lots of sisters.Ross Presser
- In order for the world to become peaceful, people must become more peaceful. Among mature people war would not be a problem — it would be impossible. In their immaturity people want, at the same time, peace and the things which make war. However, people can mature just as children grow up. Yes, our institutions and our leaders reflect our immaturity, but as we mature we will elect better leaders and set up better institutions. It always comes back to the thing so many of us wish to avoid: working to improve ourselves.
Peace Pilgrim: Her Life and Work in Her Own Words (1982)
- Stop being an escapist! Stop being a surface liver!
- There is great freedom in simplicity of living.
- When you approach others in judgement they will be on the defensive. When you are able to approach them in a kindly, loving manner without judgement they will tend to judge themselves and be transformed.
- Never think of any right effort as being fruitless. All right effort bears fruit, whether we see the results or not.
- You have much more power when you are working for the right thing than when you are working against the wrong thing.
- I shall remain a wanderer until mankind has learned the way of peace; walking until given shelter and fasting until given food.
- Praying without ceasing is not ritualized, nor are there even words. It is a constant state of awareness of oneness with God.
- Spiritual truth should never be sold; it need never be bought.
- This is the way of peace: overcome evil with good, and falsehood with truth, and hatred with love.
- To attain inner peace you must actually give your life, not just your possessions. When you at last give your life — bringing into alignment your beliefs and the way you live them — then, and only then, can you begin to find inner peace.
- We who work for peace must not falter. We must continue to pray for peace and to act for peace in whatever way we can, we must continue to speak for peace and to live the way of peace; to inspire others, we must continue to think of peace and to know that peace is possible.