Peter Pan (1953 film)
Peter Pan, an animated film based on J. M. Barrie's play of the same name, was released in February 1953 by the Disney Studios. It follows the Darling children as they encounter Peter Pan, the main character of one of their favorite bedtime stories, and the adventures they have when he takes them to his magical home: Neverland.
- Directed by Clyde Geronimi, Wilfred Jackson and Hamilton Luske. Written by Milt Banta, J.M. Barrie (play), William Cottrell, Winston Hibler, Bill Peet, Erdman Penner, Joe Rinaldi, Ted Sears, Ralph Wright
Wendy: Peter, why did you come to our window? Peter Pan: To hear a story. None of us knows any stories. Wendy: How perfectly awful. Peter Pan: Wendy your mother was telling you such a lovely story. Wendy: What story was it? Peter Pan: It was about the prince... and he couldn't find the lady who wore the glass slipper. Wendy: Ohhh... that was Cinderella, he found her, and they lived happily ever after. Peter Pan: Wonderful! [dashes to the window] Wendy: Where are you going?
- I'll get you for this, Pan, if it's the last thing I do!
- "Good form," Mr Smee? Blast good form! [waves his hook in front of Smee] Did Pan show good form when he did this to me?
- [surprised] Odd's fish!
- A jealous female can be tricked into anything.
- [repeated line] Smee!
- You will go ashore, pick up Tinkerbell, and bring her to me, [throws Mr. Smee on the ground] UNDERSTAND???!!!
- And just where do you think you are going?
- Narrator: All of this has happened before, and it will all happen again.
- Wendy Darling: No! Squaw no gettum firewood! Squaw go home!
- Mr. Darling: [seeing the pirate ship floating in the sky back to Never Land] You know, I have the strangest feeling that I've seen that ship before. A long time ago, when I was very young.
- John: [as Captain Hook] Blast you, Peter Pan!
- Michael: [as Peter Pan] Take that! Give up, Captain Hook? Give up?
- John: Never! I'll teach you to cut off me hand!
- Wendy: [chuckling] Oh no, John, it was the left hand.
- John: Oh, yes. Thank you, Wendy.
- Peter Pan: Well, get on with it, girl.
- Wendy: My name's Wendy. Wendy Moira Angela Darling.
- Peter Pan: Wendy's enough.
- Mr. Darling: That’s no excuse. Wendy, haven’t I warned you? Stuffing the boys’ heads with a lot of silly stories.
- Wendy: Oh, but they aren't!
- Mr. Darling: I say they are! Captain Crook, Peter Pirate...
- Wendy: Peter Pan, Father.
- Mr. Darling: Pan, pirate, POPPYCOCK!
- Mrs. Darling: But, George, do you think the children will be safe without Nana?
- Mr. Darling: Safe? Of course they'll be safe. Why not?
- Mrs. Darling: Well, Wendy said something about a shadow, and I...
- Mr. Darling: Shadow? Whose shadow?
- Mrs. Darling: Peter Pan's.
- Mr. Darling: Oh, Peter Pan... Peter Pan! You don't say!
- Mr. Darling: [high, mocking voice] Goodness gracious, whatever shall we do?
- Mrs. Darling: But George...
- Mr. Darling: Sound the alarm!
- Mrs. Darling: Really, I...
- Mr. Darling: Call Scotland Yard!
- Wendy: But, Peter, how do we get to Never Land?
- Peter Pan: Fly, of course.
- Wendy: Fly?
- Peter Pan: It's easy! All you have to do is to... is to... is to... Ha! That's funny.
- Wendy: What's the matter? Don't you know?
- Peter Pan: Oh, sure. It's... It's just that I never thought about it before. Say, that's it! You think of a wonderful thought.
- Wendy: He can fly!
- John: He can fly!
- Michael: He flewed!
- Peter Pan: Now you try.
- Wendy: I'll think of a mermaid lagoon, underneath a magic moon.
- John: I'll think I'm in a pirate's cave.
- Michael: I think I'll be an Indian brave.
- Peter Pan: Now everybody try.
- Wendy, John, Michael, Peter Pan: One, two, three!
- Wendy, John, Michael: We can fly! We can fly! We can fly!
- [the children all fall to the ground]
- Peter Pan: This won't do. What's the matter with you? All it takes is faith and trust. Oh! And something I forgot. Dust!
- Wendy, John: Dust?
- Michael: Dust?
- Peter Pan: Yep, just a little bit of pixie dust. Now, think of the happiest things. It's the same as having wings.
- Slightly: Orders from Pan? Hold it men!
- [Cubby bangs the Twins' heads together]
- Nibs: What's the orders, Tink?
- [Tinkerbell waves her arms and makes her noises]
- Cubby: A terrible what?
- Slightly: Wendy bird!
- Cubby: Wendy bird?
- [Tinkerbell makes more movements]
- Slightly: Flying this way?
- Cubby: Pan's order's are what?
- [Tinkerbell makes her noises and kicks her feet]
- Cubby: Smash it?
- Slightly: Kick it?
- Twins: Stomp it?
- [Tinkerbell shakes her head and makes shooting motions]
- All: Shoot it down!
- [All grab slingshots and go to find Wendy]
- Peter Pan: Tinker Bell! I hereby banish you forever.
- Wendy: Please, not forever.
- Peter Pan: Well, for a week then.
- Mr. Smee: Oh, dear, dear, dear, Captain Hook. Shooting a man in the middle of his cadenza? That ain't good form, you know.
- Captain Hook: "Good form," Mr Smee? Blast good form! [waves his hook in front of Smee] Did Pan show good form when he did this to me?
- Mr. Smee: Why, Captain, cutting your hand off was only a childish prank, you might say.
- Captain Hook: Aye! But throwing it to the crocodile! That cursed beast liked the taste of me so well he's followed me ever since, licking his chops for the rest of me.
- [the Mermaids are splashing Wendy]
- Wendy: If you dare come near me again...
- Peter Pan: Wendy! Wendy! They were just havin' a little fun! Weren'tcha, girls?
- Mermaid 1: That's all.
- Mermaid 2: We were only trying to drown her.
- Indian Chief: For many moons red man fight paleface Lost Boys.
- Lost Boys: Ugh!
- Indian Chief: Sometime you win, sometime we win.
- Cubby: OK, Chief. Uh, you win this time. Now turn us loose.
- John Darling: Turn us loose? You mean this is only a game?
- Slightly: Sure. When we win we turn them loose.
- Twin #1: When they win, they turn us loose.
- Twin #2: They turn us loose.
- Indian Chief: This time no turnum loose.
- Lost Boys: Huh?
- Slightly: The chief's a great spoofer.
- Indian Chief: Me no spoofum!
- Peter Pan: Big chief greet little mother. How.
- Wendy: Ugh.
- Peter Pan: Oh Wendy, is that all you have to say? Everyone else thinks I’m wonderful.
- Wendy: Especially Tiger Lily.
- Cubby: I think I had a mother once.
- Twin #1: What was she like?
- Twin #2: (echoing) What was she like?
- Cubby: I forget.
- Slightly: I had a white rat.
- Cubby: That's no mother!
- Captain Hook: [watching Peter Pan coming] I've waited years for this.
- Mr. Smee: That's not countin' the holidays, either.
- Mr. Smee: [as Hook lowers a bomb into Peter Pan's hideout] But, Captain, wouldn't it be more humane-like to slit his throat?
- Captain Hook: Aye, that it would, Mr Smee. But I have given me word not to lay a finger, or a hook, on Peter Pan. And Captain Hook never breaks a promise.
- Peter Pan: [impersonating Captain Hook] Mr. Smee! Just exactly what do you think you are doing?
- Mr. Smee: Putting her back, captain, like you said.
- Peter Pan: I said nothing of the sort!
- Mr. Smee: But captain...!
- Peter Pan: For the last time, Mr. Smee, take the princess back to her people! UNDERSTAND!?!?!?!?!?!?! (echoes)
- Mr. Smee: Aye-aye, sir.
- Peter Pan: Oh, and one more thing: when you return to the ship, tell the whole crew to help themselves to me best rum.
- Mr. Smee: Well, at last, Captain Hook's comin' to his senses.
- Captain Hook: [surprised] Odd's fish!
- Mr. Smee: [to Tiger Lily] I told him all along you Indians wouldn't betray Peter Pan.
- Captain Hook: [sweetly] And just what do you think you are doing, Mr. Smee?
- [He stops the rowboat from moving by placing his foot on it]
- Mr. Smee: Just what you told me, Captain: carrying out your orders.
- Captain Hook: My orders?
- Mr. Smee: Why, yes, Captain. Didn't you just say to go...
- Captain Hook: [shoving Smee's rowboat back into Skull Rock] Put her back, you blithering idiot! [to himself] My orders. Of all the bumbling...
- [Wendy has walked the plank, and Peter saves her]
- Mr. Starkey: No splash, Captain.
- Captain Hook: So, you want a splash, Mr Starkey? I'll give you a splash!
- [Hook throws Mr Starkey overboard]
- Captain Hook: Who's next?
- Peter Pan: You're next, Hook! This time you've gone too far!
- Captain Hook: Fly! Fly! Fly! You coward!
- Peter Pan: Coward! Me?
- Captain Hook: Ha-ha-ha! You wouldn't dare fight old Hook man-to-man. You'd fly away like a cowardly sparrow!
- Peter Pan: Nobody calls Pan a coward and lives! I'll fight you man-to-man, with one hand behind my back.
- Captain Hook: You mean you won't fly?
- Wendy: No, don't, Peter! It's a trick!
- Peter Pan: I give my word, Hook.
- Captain Hook: Good, then let's have at it!
- Captain Hook: You wouldn't do old Hook in now, would you, lad? I'll go away forever. I'll do anything you say.
- Peter Pan: Well, all right. If ya say you're a codfish.
- Captain Hook: [gulp] I'm a codfish.
- Peter Pan: Louder!
- Captain Hook: I'm a codfish!
- Peter Pan: Well, well, a codfish on a hook.
- Captain Hook: I'll get you for this, Pan, if it's the last thing I do!
- Peter Pan: Mr. Crocodile, do you like codfish? [crocodile nods] You do?
- Wendy: Oh Peter, no!
"What Makes the Red Man Red?"
The Indians' light-hearted musical number has in more recent times come under fire for its depiction of Native Americans.
- Hana mana ganda!
We translate for you:
Hana means what mana means
And ganda means that too.
- Why does he ask you, "How?"
Why does he ask you, "How?"
Once the Injun didn't know
All the things that he know now
But the Injun, he sure learn a lot
And it's all from asking, "How?"
- When did he first say "Ugh?"
When did he first say "Ugh?"
In the Injun book it say
When first brave married squaw
He gave out with heap big "Ugh!"
When he saw his mother-in-law.
- What makes the red man red?
What makes the red man red?
Let's go back a million years
To the very first Injun prince
He kiss a maid and start to blush
And we all been blushin' since.
- It will live in your heart forever!
- Bobby Driscoll - Peter Pan (voice)
- Kathryn Beaumont - Wendy Darling (voice)
- Hans Conried - Captain Hook/Mr. Darling (voice)
- Bill Thompson - Mr. Smee/Other Pirates (voice)
- Heather Angel - Mrs. Darling (voice)
- Paul Collins - John Darling (voice)
- Tommy Luske - Michael Darling (voice)
- Candy Candido - Indian Chief (voice)
- Tom Conway - Narrator (voice)