Life is a grindstone. Whether it grinds us down or polishes us up depends on us.Thomas L. Holdcroft
Statement to the media, 23 June 2005, on the government's proposal to establish a Reconciliation and Unity Commission (excerpts)
- "I support the effort of government to bring about reconciliation and unity but this cannot be achieved through a Bill that has caused so much opposition, division and confusion in the country."
- "Reconciliation and unity cannot be achieved through a politically motivated Bill."
- "The healing of a nation is a slow process that requires patience. It begins with truth telling, the confession of wrong-doing, the genuine respect for forgiveness and the willingness to accept the consequences of one's actions."
- "I publicly appeal to our President, our Prime Minister and the members of our Government to withdraw the Bill until such time as proper consultations can be held and appropriate amendments made."
- "The overthrow of a democratically elected government is a very serious crime and those involved — great or small — must face the consequences. Otherwise we will continue to see a repetition of coups and other politically motivated criminal activity."