Pirkei Avot (literally "Chapters of the fathers", usually translated "Ethics of the Fathers") is a section of the Mishnah. Unlike most of the Mishnah, which deals with Jewish law, this is mainly a compilation of ethical sayings by rabbis mentioned in the Talmud.
- By three things is the world preserved: by truth, by judgment and by peace.
- 1:18 (by Simeon ben Gamaliel)
- What is the best course for a man to choose for himself? Whatever he finds to be honourable, and also brings him honour from others.
- 2:1 (by Judah haNasi)
- איזהו החכם? הלומד מכל אדם
- Translation: Who is the wise person? The one who learns from every person.
- 4:1 (by Ben Zoma)
- Be a tail to lions rather than a head to jackals.
- Variant: Join the company of lions rather than assume the lead among foxes.