There is one thing that matters—to set a chime of words tinkling in the minds of a few fastidious people.Logan Pearsall Smith
Quotes about the press:
- "In the long, fierce struggle for freedom of opinion, the press, like the Church, counted its martyrs by thousands."
- "The productions of the press, fast as steam can make and carry them, go abroad through all the land, silent as snowflakes, but potent as thunder. It is an additional tongue of steam and lightning, by which a man speaks his first thought, his instant argument or grievance, to millions in a day."
- "Let it be impressed upon your minds, let it be instilled into your children, that the liberty of the press is the palladium of all the civil, political, and religious rights."
- "The liberty of the press is the true measure of all other liberty; for all freedom without this must be merely nominal."
- "The invention of printing added a new element of power to the race. From that hour, in a most especial sense, the brain and not the arm, the thinker and not the soldier, books and not kings, were to rule the world; and weapons, forged in the mind, keen-edged and brighter than the sunbeam, were to supplant the sword and the battle-axe."
- Klopsch, Louis, 1852-1910 (1896). Many Thoughts of Many Minds.