Profit generally is the making of gain in business activity for the benefit of the owners of the business. The word comes from Latin meaning "to make progress", is defined in two different ways, one for economics and one for accounting.
"For the corporation executives, the military metaphysic often coincides with their interest in a stable and planned flow of profit; it enables them to have their risk underwritten by public money; it enables them reasonably to expect that they can exploit for private profit now and later, the risky research developments paid for by public money. It is, in brief, a mask of the subsidized capitalism from which they extract profit and upon which their power is based.”
- C. Wright Mills. , Causes of world war 3,1958
- When a firm makes a profit this means that productive factors have been properly employed and corresponding human needs have been duly satisfied.
- Pope John Paul II, Centesimus Annus, 1991
- The promise of every product and service is a better life. Profits are the prize for delivering on the promise.
- Patrick Dixon - Building a Better Business 2005 p 88
- If you count all your assets, you always show a profit.
- Robert Quillen.
- Profit comes from what's there, usefulness comes from what's not there
- Chinese proverb
- Profit never needs a reason. It is the reason.
- Thomas Launchi
- Revenue is good but profit is better. **
- And gain is gain, however small.
- Robert Browning