Let the first impulse pass, wait for the second.Baltasar Gracian
(Redirected from Quayle, Dan)
- "There were no Palestinians riding on planes on September 9th."
- Source: Time Magazine (Quayle was referencing the 9/11 attacks)
- "My National Guard unit did a tour of duty in Vietnam."
- Source: Interview on Finnish Mainos-Televisio morning show.
- "The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century."
- Senator Dan Quayle, 9/15/88 (reported in Esquire, 8/92, The New Yorker, 10/10/88, p.102)
- It is not just age; it's accomplishments, it's experience. I have far more experience than many others that sought the office of vice president of this country. I have as much experience in the Congress as Jack Kennedy did when he sought the presidency. I will be prepared to deal with the people in the Bush administration, if that unfortunate event would ever occur.
- "In George Bush you get experience, and with me you get the future."
- Source: (LA Times 10/19/88)
- See also: more on Future
- "Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things."
- Senator Dan Quayle, 10/30/88 (reported in Esquire, 8/92 and the LA Times, 10/30/88)
- "Hawaii has always been a very pivotal role in the Pacific. It is in the Pacific. It is a part of the United States that is an island that is right here."
- Vice President Dan Quayle, Hawaii, 4/25/89 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)
- "What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is."
- Source: (USA Today 5/10/89)
- The other day [the President] said, I know you've had some rough times, and I want to do something that will show the nation what faith that I have in you, in your maturity and sense of responsibility. (He paused, then said) Would you like a puppy?
- Source: LA Times 5/21/89
- "We are on an irreversible trend towards more freedom and democracy - but that could change."
- Vice President Dan Quayle, Hawaii, 5/22/89 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)
- "Mars is essentially in the same orbit...Mars is somewhat the same distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe."
- Vice President Dan Quayle, Hawaii, 8/11/89 (interview broadcast on CNN, referenced in 9/1/89 Washington Post article: "A Quayle Vision of Mars")
- "One word sums up probably the responsibility of any Governor, and that one word is 'to be prepared'."
- December 6, 1993
- This source "Vice President Dan Quayle, Hawaii, 12/6/89 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)" has "Governor" replaced with "vice president".
- "For NASA, space is still a high priority."
- Vice President Dan Quayle, talking to NASA employees, 9/5/90 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)
- "We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or may not occur."
- Vice President Dan Quayle talking about the Mideast situation, 9/22/90 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)
- "I have been asked who caused the riots and the killing in LA, my answer has been direct & simple: Who is to blame for the riots? The rioters are to blame. Who is to blame for the killings? The killers are to blame."
- Vice President Dan Quayle (during the Commonwealth Club speech 5/19/92)
- Also: reported as "Who is to blame for the riots? The rioters!" by Herb Caen, SF Chronicle
- "Illegitimacy is something we should talk about in terms of not having it."
- Vice President Dan Quayle, 5/20/92 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)
- "I love California. I practically grew up in Phoenix."
- "Potato. P-O-T-A-T-O-E." (This is said to have been caused by a misprinted word card in the spelling bee Quayle was judging.)
- "My friends, no matter how rough the road may be, we can and we will never surrender to what is right."
- In a speech to the Christian Coalition
- "You all look like happy campers to me. Happy campers you are, happy campers you have been, and, as far as I am concerned, happy campers you will always be."
- In a speech to American Samoans
- "The question is: Are we going to go forward to tomorrow, or past to the back?"
- "We should develop anti-satellite weapons because we could not have prevailed without them in 'Red Storm Rising'".
- "I stand by all my misstatements."
- "The future will be better tomorrow."
- "A word of advice: 'get a job.'"
- "We're going to have the best educated American people in the world."
- "People that are really very weird can get into sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact on history."
- Quotes from MAD magazine with "future quotes we can expect to hear"...
- "A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls."
- "Republicans have been accused of abandoning the poor. It's the other way around. They never vote for us."
- "It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."
- "I was recently on a tour of Latin America, and the only regret I have was that I didn't study Latin harder in school so I could converse with those people."
- U.S. Representative Claudine Schneider (RI) telling an admitted joke about Quayle
- "Quayle Quotes", Urban Legends Reference Pages
- "If we do not succeed, then we run the risk of failure."
- Source: Esquire Magazine, 8/92
- Disputed: Snopes.com