Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy.Guillaume Apollinaire
- [To teammates before a game] "Let's go out and play like we're Chicago on NBA Jam."
- [To Kwame Brown before attempting every shot over him] "Don't worry young fella, I get paid for this. I get paid for doing this to you."
- [To Vince Carter while Carter was waiting to be substituted into a game] "VINCE! VINCE! I know you hear me! You better look over here or I'm gonna slap you upside the head!"
- "Can you get a good cheesesteak in Portland?"
- [On team chemistry] "See, we are like the dust...we just need to be mixed in right so we can gel."
- [On coach Sidney Lowe's leaving North Carolina] "I told him that he's going to get buried by Carolina, killed by Carolina, he better get used to losing bad. We're going to beat (them), and when we do, he can't duck me -- I don't care where he is. I am going to call his cell phone, fax him, write him, e-mail him, call his assistants, call his secretary at the basketball office, call his house phone, send him FedEx packages with a big NC logo and the final score on it. He's going to know he got whupped. So you go ahead and take that job. You're going from winning to losing. You'd be better off going to the University of Wyoming or something. But no, you're going right into the lion's den."
- "I'm all right. I'll be ready to go. Don't send me to the glue factory yet."
- [On referees] "A lot of them cats are felonious, man."
- [On meeting George Bush] "I ain't going to say (nothing) to him. I didn't vote for him. I'm not excited at all, it's just part of the thing."
- [On winning championship] ""It's K.I.M. You gotta keep it moving. Because once you stop, you gonna get stuck."
- "I'm not Jesus or nuthin."
- [On John Nash's comments comparing him with Kenyon Martin] "I don't give a shit what John Nash thinks...You see where his thinking got him...You all got anything else?"
- [Before a game 7] "Pressure? This isn't pressure and this is not pain. Afghanistan, Iraq and that other place, Croatia and Bosnia - now, that is pressure. This ain't nothing but a little hoops."
- "Granted, they're a good team, but we ain't scared of nobody, I don't know why all you cats think we're scared of the Lakers, or that the Lakers are this dominant force. We ain't scared of those cats, man."
- "Some people say I'm mean and this and that. On one hand that's cool. That keeps away all the riffraff and all the bugaboos."
- "They were good before I got here. That's what I try to tell the local media and fans. They say to me, 'Thanks for coming to the Pistons. You made us better.' I say, 'Ain't no way in hell I made y'all better. Y'all were already one of the top-echelon teams in the East.' I'm still mystified by that one a little bit."
- "...In college it was win, win, win. I don't like losing. I've never had to deal with losing. When I'm out there on the floor, I might yell or do this or that. I'm trying to get the win. My whole bottom line is getting that 'W.' I might be more vocal or more fierce than the next player, and I get labeled a knucklehead. That comes from people who don't know me, who just see me one night out of 365 days."
- [On getting fined for wearing shorts too long during a game] "I like to wear big baggy clothes, and that's the way I like it when I am playing. We're the ones out there playing. They're up in some office. If we're comfortable with it, leave us alone ... They're just targeting a whole bunch of young guys."
- [When blowing out a team, to Jerry Stackhouse sitting on the bench and signaling to substitute him out of the game] "Let's get the fuck out of here."
- "I don't know of any law that says you can't have fun on the court if you play for Carolina."
- "Same old refs, some things never change."
- "Both teams played hard. God bless and goodnight."
- "Cheaters never win, that's all."
- [After foul shooter missed a foul shot] "THAT BALL AIN'T GONNA LIE, THAT BALL AIN'T GONNA LIE!"