Requiem for a Dream
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance.Jean-Paul Sartre
- I'm thinking thin.
- Harold, I'm gonna be on Television.
- [on her pills] Purple in the morning, blue in the afternoon, orange in the evening. [to her refridgerator] Theres my three meals Mr. Smartypants. And green at night. Just like that, one, two, three, four.
- And you should see my Harry on Television. We're giving the prizes away. I just wanted to be on the show!
- In the end it's all nice.
- I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.
- I'm walkin' across the stage!!
- Somebody like you can really make things all right for me.
- Ma. Ya on Uppers?
- [to Marion] You are beautiful. You're the most beautiful girl in the world. You're my dream.
- And then, we could get a pound of pure, straight from Sada Giba.
- For Christ Sake Marion.
- This is some unbelievable stuff.
- Whats this chain for ma?
- Yeah, I'll come today. You just wait for me alright. [pause] Marion, I'm really sorry Marion.
- We got a winner.
- [Chanting] Be excited, be, be excited.
- Now we come to step three. This... drives... most... people... crazy.
- Join us in creating excellence!
- I know it's pretty baby, but I didn't take it out for air.
- Ass to ass! Ass to ass!
- Marion: I love you Harry. You make me feel like a person.
- Harry Goldfarb: Marion, you are the most beautiful girl in the world. You are my dream.
- Sara Goldfarb: How come you know more about medicine than a doctor?
- Harry Goldfarb: Believe me, Ma: I know.
- Sara Goldfarb: I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.
- Harry Goldfarb: You got friends, Ma.
- Sara Goldfarb: Ah, it's not the same. They don't need me. I like the way I feel. I like thinking about the red dress and the television and you and your father. Now when I get the sun, I smile.
- Tappy Tibbons: We got a winner, I said we got a winner, we got a winner! Our next winner is that delightful personality, straight from Brighton beach Brooklyn, Please give a juicy welcome to Mrs. Sarah Goldfarb!
- The Audience: Juice by Sarah, juice by Sarah, juice by Sarah oh, Sarah's got juice, Sarah's got juice, ohhhhhhhh Sarah
- Tappy Tibbons: I'm delighted to tell you, that you've just won the grand prize!
- Sara Goldfarb: Oh no!
- Tappy Tibbons: Now let me tell you what you've won. Your prize has a sweet smile, and his own private business. He just got engaged, and is about to get married this summer, please give a warm, and juicy welcome, Harry Goldfarb!
- The Audience: Juice by Harry, juice by Harry, ohhhh Harry's got juice, Harry's got juice ohhhhhh Harry.
- Sara Goldfarb: I love you Harry.
- Harry Goldfarb: I love you too ma.
- Tyrone C. Love: California, here we come.
- Harry Goldfarb: It's Florida, Ty. Florida.
- Tyrone C. Love: California, Florida, whatever. Either way, your pale ass is getting a tan.
- Harry Goldfarb: This is our only chance to make it big.
- Tyrone C. Love: C'mon baby let's do this... naturally.
- Harry Goldfarb: [Waking up after his arm was amputated] Marion? Marion?
- Angelic Nurse: Don't worry, your in a hospital.
- Harry Goldfarb: Marion?
- Angelic Nurse: Who's that? She'll be sent for, she'll come.
- Harry Goldfarb: No... she won't.
- Angelic Nurse: She'll come.
- Harry Goldfarb: [Crying] No... she won't come.
- Tyrone: [about the TV] Shit, this muthafucka's startin' to look a little seedy, man.
- Harry: What's the matter, you particular all the sudden?
- Tyrone: Hey, baby, I don't care if the motherfucker's growing hair just so long as we get our braid.
- Young Tyrone: I told you I would make it Mama.
- Tyrone's Mother: Oh, you don't have to make anything, my sweet, you just have to love your mother.
- Harry: [about the failed drug score] Some dumbass junkie!
- Marion: Did what? Some dumbass junkie did what? You mean, you fucked it up!
- Harry: What the fuck is wrong with you?
- Marion: You promised me that everything was gonna be ok remember? I fucked that sleaze bag for you, then I put myself through fucking hell for you?
- Harry: Theres nothing out there!
- Marion: I don't give a shit! You fucking loser!
- Marion: Getting the money's not the problem Harry.
- Harry: Then what's the problem?
- Marion: I don't know what I'm going to have to do to get it.
- Ellen Burstyn - Sarah Goldfarb
- Jared Leto - Harry Goldfarb
- Jennifer Connelly - Marion Silver
- Marlon Wayans - Tyrone C. Love
- Christopher McDonald - Tappy Tibbons