Road to Perdition
Many search for happiness as we look for a hat we wear on our heads.Nikolaus Lenus
Michael Sullivan, Jr.
- There are many stories about Michael Sullivan. Some say he was a decent man. Others say there was no good in him at all. But I once spent 6 weeks on the road with him, in the winter of 1931. This is our story.
- I saw then that my father's only fear was that his son would follow the same road. And that was the last time I ever held a gun. People always thought I grew up on a farm. And I guess, in a way, I did. But I lived a lifetime before that, in those six weeks on the road in the winter of 1931. When people ask me if Michael Sullivan was a good man, or if there was just no good in him at all, I always give the same answer. I just tell them... he was my father.
- Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.
- What men do after work is what made us rich. No need to screw them at work as well.
- A man of honor always pays his debts... and keeps his word.
- You would like to apologize? Try again.
- Let's drink to Danny's honor. Let's wake him to God and hope he gets to Heaven... at least an hour before the devil finds out he's dead.
- I curse... the fucking... day... you were born. I curse it!
- [to Michael] I'm glad it's you.
- This is the life we chose, the life we lead. And there is only one guarantee: none of us will see Heaven.
- If I'm not back in half an hour, you go see Reverend Lynch at First Methodist and you tell him what's happened. Do NOT go to Father Callaway.
- Sarah? It's me Mike. We're here...
- I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry... I'm sorry.
- I shoot the dead. Dead bodies, that is. I don't kill them.
- I'm something of a rarity.
- Alexander Rance: This is Mr. Rance in the bridal suite and before you proffer your phony congratulations there is no Mrs. Rance residing with me and I'm all the better for it. Now, listen carefully because I am in no mood. I'm going to say this only once. I would like a boiled egg and I want it runny.
- Alexander Rance: Finally, Top marks for speed. No marks for cookery.
- Finn McGovern: [to John Rooney] You rule this town as God rules the Earth.
- Peter Sullivan: Why are you always smiling?
- Connor Rooney: 'Cause it's all so fuckin' hysterical.
- Michael Sullivan, Jr.: [after seeing his father kill someone] Does Mama know?
- Michael Sullivan: Your mother knows I love Mr. Rooney. When we had nothing, he gave us a home... a life... and we owe him.
- Connor Rooney: I can look after myself.
- Frank Nitti: No, you can't! This is the point. You're a big baby who doesn't know his thumb from his dick!
- Michael Sullivan: You gonna frisk me?
- Frank the Bouncer: Should I?
- Michael Sullivan: It's a good idea.
- Harlen Maguire: [after Maguire tells Sullivan about his profession] You ever seen one?
- Michael Sullivan: Yeah.
- Harlen Maguire: Sorry for you. Terrible thing... but it sure makes you feel alive, don't it?
- Michael Sullivan: I'll drink to that.
- [Maguire has pulled out a camera]
- Michael Sullivan: Is that, uh... your profession or... your pleasure?
- Harlen Maguire: Both, I guess. To be paid to do what you love... ain't that the dream?
- Mr. McDougal: Well this is a pleasant surprise. I wasn't expecting another deposit until the end of the month.
- Michael Sullivan: Actually, I'm making a withdrawal. [Pulls his gun] And I want dirty money only, everything you're holding for Capone that's off the books. Open the safe.
- Mr. McDougal: You're insane. You know they'll find out who you are.
- Michael Sullivan: The name's Sullivan. You want me to spell it?
- Michael Sullivan, Jr.: So when do I get my share of the money?
- Michael Sullivan: Well... how much do you want?
- Michael Sullivan, Jr.: Two hundred dollars.
- Michael Sullivan: Okay. Deal. [Michael Jr. stops eating and thinks for awhile] Could I have had more?
- Michael Sullivan: You'll never know.
- Betty the Waitress: So what brings you guys to the middle of nowhere?
- Michael Sullivan, Jr.: We're bank robbers.
- Michael Sullivan: I'd like to work for you.
- Frank Nitti: [Chuckles] Well... that's very interesting.
- Michael Sullivan: And in return, I'd like you to turn a blind eye to... what I have to do.
- Frank Nitti: And what is that?
- Michael Sullivan: Kill the man who murdered my family.
- Mr. McDougal: You really trust me not to say anything?
- Michael Sullivan: Always trust a bank manager.
- Michael Sullivan: [teaching his son to drive] Look out for the tractor, Mike. Michael... look out for the tractor. You're coming up now. Watch out for the tractor. Watch out for the tractor! Watch out for the tractor!
- [Sullivan, Jr. swerves to avoid the tractor in the nick of time]
- Michael Sullivan, Jr.: We made it!
- Michael Sullivan: [sarcastically] Oh, yeah, yeah. We made it.
- [Sullivan has a gun to Kelly's head]
- Jack Kelly: Think, Mike. Don't be stupid. I'm just the messenger.
- Michael Sullivan: [lowers his gun] Then give Mr. Rooney a message for me.
- Jack Kelly: What is it?
- [Sullivan shoots him]
- [a knock at the door]
- Alexander Rance: It's open. Top marks for speed, no marks for cookery.
- [holding plate with egg]
- Alexander Rance: What, may I ask, do you call this?
- Michael Sullivan: Put it down.
- Alexander Rance: Mr. Sullivan!
- Michael Sullivan: Mr. Rance.
- Alexander Rance: How did you find me?
- Michael Sullivan: This is the best hotel in the area and you are so very... particular.
- Alexander Rance: Yes, indeed, Mr. Sullivan.
- Alexander Rance: What do you think you're going to accomplish by interfering with our business, Mr. Sullivan?
- Michael Sullivan: This has nothing to do with your business.
- Alexander Rance: It's all business. That's what you fail to grasp. And in business, you must have something to trade. And you, Mr. Sullivan, have nothing to trade. Especially not for anyone as valuable as Connor Rooney.
- Michael Sullivan: He murdered Annie and Peter!
- John Rooney: There are only murderers in this room! Michael! Open your eyes! This is the life we chose, the life we lead. And there is only one guarantee: none of us will see heaven.
- Michael Sullivan: Michael could.
- John Rooney: Then do everything that you can to see that that happens.
- Michael Sullivan, Jr.: Did you like Peter more than me?
- Michael Sullivan: No. I loved you both the same.
- Michael Sullivan, Jr.: You were always... different with me.
- Michael Sullivan: Was I?
- [Sullivan thinks for a while]
- Michael Sullivan: Well, I suppose it was because Peter was just... such a sweet little boy, you know? And you... you were more like me. And I... didn't want you to be.
- Michael Sullivan, Jr.: What are you going to do?
- Michael Sullivan: [assembling a gun] Just one last thing, and then it's done.
- Michael Sullivan, Jr.: I couldn't do it.
- Michael Sullivan: I know.
- Pray for Michael Sullivan
- Every father is a hero to his son.
- Every son holds the future for his father.
- The innocence of a son is surpassed only by the father's will to save it.
- Tom Hanks - Michael Sullivan
- Paul Newman - John Rooney
- Tyler Hoechlin - Michael Sullivan Jr.
- Stanley Tucci - Frank Nitti
- Jude Law - Harlen Maguire
- Liam Aiken - Peter Sullivan
- Jennifer Jason Leigh - Annie Sullivan
- David Darlow - Jack Kelly
- Dylan Baker - Alexander Rance
- Daniel Craig - Connor Rooney
- Ciarán Hinds - Finn McGovern