Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves is a 1991 film starring Kevin Costner and Morgan Freeman. The legendary archer and his Moorish sidekick lead Sherwood Forrest outlaws against the cruel Sheriff of Nottingham who covets strong-willed Maid Marian.
- Directed by Kevin Reynolds. Written by Pen Densham and John Watson.
Robin of Locksley
- [about his father] He called the Crusades a foolish quest. He said it was vanity to force our religion upon other men.
- I will not rest until my father is avenged. I swear it by my own blood.
- [robbing a lady in a carriage] My lady, a woman of your beauty has no need for such... decorations.
- The Sheriff calls us outlaws, but I say we are free! And one free men defending his home is more powerful then ten hired soldiers. The Crusades taught me that. I will make you no promises, save one: that when you truly believe in your hearts that you're free, then I say we can win!
- Come, my friend! Make his sacrifice an act of honor! Come now.
- You have saved my life, Christian. Now, I will stay with you until I have saved yours. That is my vow.
- The hospitality of this country is as warm as the weather.
- English! English! Behold, Azeem Edin Bashir Al Bakir! I am not one of you, but I fight! I fight with Robin Hood! I fight against a tyrant who holds you under his boot! If you would be free men, then you must fight! Join us now, join Robin Hood!
Sheriff of Nottingham
- Locksley, I'm gonna cut your heart out with a spoon!
- I can't do this with all that racket!
- Do you mind Locksley? We've just been married.
- Just a minute. Robin Hood steals money from my pocket, forcing me to hurt the public, and they love him for it? That's it, then! Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas!
- Maid Marian: Men speak conveniently of love when it their serves their purpose. And when it doesn't, it a burden to them. Robin of the Hood, prince of thieves. Is he capable of love?
- Duncan: Point me towards danger, Azeem, I'm ready!
- Duncan: [to Marian] He fancies you, my lady. I am blind, but there are some things I can still see.
- Friar Tuck: Come on, get out of it. We waste good celebration time.
- Will Scarlet: [after Robin and Azeem are successfully catapulted over a wall] By golly, he cleared it!
- Azeem: No man controls my destiny... especially not one who attacks with down wind stinks of garlic.
- Robin of Locksley: Come, Azeem, our fighting days are done. By nightfall, we'll celebrate with my father. You'll understand of course, I had to try.
- Azeem: I would have succeeded.
- Azeem: In my country, we talk to our women. We do not drug them with plants.
- Robin of Locksley: What do you know about women?
- Azeem: Where I come from, Christian, there are women of such beauty, that they can posess a man's mind so, that he be willing to die for them.
- Robin of Locksley: Wait a minute. Was that why you were to be executed? Because of a woman? That's it, isn't it? That's it?
- Azeem: It is close to sunset.
- Robin of Locksley: You painted old hound, who was she? The mullah's daughter? Another man's wife? What's her name?
- Azeem: Is there no sun in this cursed country? Which way is East?
- Robin of Locksley: Her name.
- Azeem: East?!
- Robin of Locksley: Her name.
- Azeem: Jasmina.
- Robin of Locksley: [points] That way.
- Robin of Locksley: I've seen enough blood spilled to last two lifetimes. Now get off my land! And tell Nottingham what happens to his scum when they pick on small children! [to Azeem] And you! You travel ten thousand miles to save my life and leave me to be butchered?!
- Azeem: I fulfill my vows when I choose!
- Robin of Locksley: Which does not include prayer times, meal times, or anytime I'm outnumbered six to one.
- Azeem: You whine like a mule. You are still alive!
- Sheriff of Nottingham: Cousin, I justify your intrusion with news of profound value?
- Sir Guy of Gisborne: I met a hooded man today who made me warn you not to harm his people.
- Sheriff of Nottingham: Who told you to cover up? His name?
- Sir Guy of Gisborne: Robin of Locksley.
- Sheriff of Nottingham: The prodigal son returns. He's a whelp! This girl could best him. Put it there!
- Sir Guy of Gisborne: Yes, well, this whelp has bested four of my men.
- Sheriff of Nottingham: Yes, well, your men were probably drunk. And yet you survived, cousin.
- Sir Guy of Gisborne: I've barely survived. He has a companion, a dark skinned foreigner with a dark face of Islam and a Saracens sword.
- Sheriff of Nottingham: Yes, yes, I'm sure it would take an army to match these rogues. I trust Locksley's visit to his manor and found the home fires still burning!
- Duncan: A curse on Moors and Saracens! If it were not for their ungodly ways, Master Robin would never have left home. What manner of name is "Azeem"? Irish? Cornish?
- Azeem: Moorish. (Duncan cowers)
- Robin of Locksley: Marian, I've returned to my home to find it destroyed and my father murdered! And the only explanations for it are the ramblings of an old blind man.
- Maid Marian: But all I remember of you is a spoiled bully who used to burn my hair as a child.
- Robin of Locksley: Please allow these years of war and prison may change a man.
- Maid Marian: Robin, whatever happened between you and your father, you mustn't believe... what they accused him of.
- Robin of Locksley: I don't.
- [Robin, looking through a simple telescope, points his sword at Sir Guy on his horse from a distance]
- Azeem: [Swatting the scope from Robin's eye] How did your uneducated kind ever take Jerusalem?
- Maid Marian: Stop them! They're stealing my horses!
- Robin of Locksley: You're so kind, Marian.
- Sir Guy of Gisborne: Have you been sheltering outlaws, Lady Marian?
- Maid Marian: They are thieves, you imbecile!
- Sir Guy of Gisborne: Lucky they didn't steal your virtue as well. The crown for the man who brings me Locksley's head, my lady!
- Robin of Locksley: Have we lost them?
- Azeem: No. My horse carries two, and yours is lame. We can not outrun them.
- Duncan: Leave me, master Robin, I slow your escape.
- Robin of Locksley: We can lose them in the forest.
- Duncan: Sherwood Forest is haunted, master.
- Robin of Locksley: Either we take our chances with the ghosts or become ghosts ourselves.
- Sir Guy of Gisborne: Come on, damn you! There are only three of them!
- Soldier: It's not the mem we feared, sir. It's the evil spirits.
- Sir Guy of Gisborne: Robin of the Hood! Son of a devil worshipper! You father died a coward, cursing your name and squealling like a stuck pig!
- Azeem: You will bring no justice to your father by dying today.
- Azeem: In my dreams alone have I imagined such a place.
- Robin of Locksley: Then imagine a way to cross it.
- Will Scarlett: [singing] There was a rich man from Nottingham who tried to cross a river. What a dope, he tripped on a rope. Now look at him shiver! Beg for mercy, rich man!
- Robin of Locksley: I beg of no man.
- Will Scarlett: Well, this here is out river, and any man that wishes to cross must pay a tax.
- Robin of Locksley: I'll pay no tax, as you can see I have nothing, not even my sword.
- Little John: Bollocks! Any man who travels with two servants and claims that he's got no bloody money, is either a fool or a liar.
- Will Scarlett: Yeah, he's a liar!
- [Robin fights a losing fight against John Little in a river]
- Robin of Locksley: Any great ideas?
- Azeem: Get up! Move faster!
- Robin of Locksley: Move faster. Great idea.
- Robin of Locksley: Do you yield?
- John Little: I can't swim!
- [Robin dunks him]
- Robin of Locksley: Do you yield?
- John Little: Yes!
- Robin of Locksley: Good. Now put your feet down.
- [John finds that he is standing in less than two feet of water]
- Maid Marian: There's a price on your head.
- Robin of Locksley: How much?
- Maid Marian: One hundred gold pieces.
- Robin of Locksley: Is that all? I shall have to annoy the good Sheriff more. Soon it will be a thousand.
- Maid Marian: For a thousand, I would turn you in myself. Nottingham is mounting an army. He has every blacksmith in the county hold up in the castle making swords and armour.
- Robin of Locksley: What is he planning?
- Maid Marian: I don't know. There's no limit to the man's ambitions. Go!
- Robin of Locksley: Thank you.
- Maid Marian: Quickly, go! Robin, do something for me.
- Robin of Locksley: What?
- Maid Marian: Take a bath.
- Robin of Locksley: Take a bath?
- [Marian nods]
- Sir Guy of Gisborne: Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
- Sheriff of Nottingham: Because it's dull, you twit! It'll hurt more! I want this brigand found. Starve them out, slaughter there... No, take their live stock. I want Locksley's own people fighting to bring his head in.
- Sir Guy of Gisborne: Perhaps, we could create a name for him. Something to drive fear in the hearts of the populace, maybe "Locksley the Lethal" or "Wreaking Robin".
- Sheriff of Nottingham: Whatever! I want him dead by the next full moon, before the barons come back. Now, sew... and keep the stitches small!
- Friar Tuck: [singing drunkenly] Old King Richard's gone to war, loves his wine and warring/But those of us hwo stay at home, there's only beer and whoring/Play the music, dance the day, think not of tomorrow...
- Sir Guy of Gisborne: Friar! I'm sure you shall find it much more difficult to sing with a sword in your gullet!
- Friar Tuck: Yes, my lord. [laughs, to himself] You pig.
- Robin of Locksley: Do you yield?
- Friar Tuck: I'd rather roast in hell.
- Azeem: Salaam, little one.
- Small Girl: Did God paint you?
- Azeem: Did God paint me? [laughs] Most certainly.
- Small Girl: Why?
- Azeem: Because Allah loves wonderous varieties.
- Maid Marian: How is it, that a once-arrogant young nobleman has found contentment, living rough with the salt of the earth?
- Robin of Locksley: I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle. And I've seen the lowliest, unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse. Nobility is not a birthright. It's defined by one's actions.
- Maid Marian: It's interesting to hear you say that.
- Robin of Locksley: I didn't. My father did.
- Maid Marian: Did the holy quest erase your hatred of him?
- Robin of Locksley: I don't know. All I know is that our last words in this world were spoken in anger. I was lost after my mother died. My father too, and for a short time he found comfort in the arms of another woman, a peasant woman. I thought he was betraying my mother's memory.
- Maid Marian: So he gave her up?
- Robin of Locksley: For the love of a twelve-year-old by who would never forgive him.
- Robin of Locksley: What are you going to do?
- Azeem: I have seen it many times... with horses.
- Robin of Locksley: With horses?
- Friar Tuck: Come, my barbarian friend. Let us open a bottle and do our best to save each other's souls.
- Azeem: Alas, I am not permitted.
- Friat Tuck: Fine then, you talk, I'll drink.
- Sheriff of Nottingham: In ten days time, the barons are coming. Robin Hood has stolen what I was to pay for their alliance. And I'm surrounded by fools who do not realize my obligations. Tell me, Mortianna. Am I affronted?
- Mortianna: Recruit the beasts that share our god.
- Sheriff of Nottingham: Animals?
- Mortianna: From the North.
- Sheriff of Nottingham: You mean celts? They drink the blood of their dead!
- Mortianna: Yoke their strengths.
- Sheriff of Nottingham: Hired thugs... Ahh, briliant!
- Mortianna: Put thine own issue on the throne?
- Sheriff of Nottingham: A child, how?
- Mortianna: Alive with royal blood.
- Sheriff of Nottingham: Who?
- Sheriff of Nottingham: What a beautiful child. So young, so alive, so unaware of how precarious life can be. I had a very sad childhood, I'll tell you about it sometime. I never knew my parents; it's amazing I'm sane. Marian, our union would allow these children to grow up as my allies. You understand... I cannot allow them to grow up as my enemies.
- Maid Marian: I have no choice.
- Sheriff of Nottingham: That's true.
- Sheriff of Nottingham: Will you keep the noise down, please? Now I have heard that Robin Hood may still be alive. Either tell me where he may be hiding, or you will all be hanged and we will catch him anyway and do the same thing to him.
- Will Scarlett: I'd love to kill him for you.
- Wulf: Will, no!
- Sheriff of Nottingham: So he is alive, then?
- Will Scarlett: I'm not really sure.
- Sheriff of Nottingham: Then why would I need you?
- Will Scarlett: Because, my lord, if he is alive, I can get close to him. I'm one of his men. He would never suspect me.
- Wulf: He knows you always hated him, traitor!
- Sheriff of Nottingham, Will Scarlett: Shut up!
- Will Scarlett: He's trusting fool. He'll believe me. And if he doesn't, he'll kill me. Then you've lost nothing.
- Sheriff of Nottingham: If you fail, I will personally remove your lying tongue.
- Will Scarlett: And if I succeed, I get my freedom and the bounty on his head.
- Sheriff of Nottingham: The lash, I think! Sorry about that. It'll make it more convincing.
- Robin of Locksley: My pride brought us to this.
- Azeem: No, Sadiq. It was you who gave pride to these people.
- Robin of Locksley: I was a fool. I was a fool to let them leave. I believe I planned it all so perfectly.
- Azeem: I once heard a wise man say "There are no perfect men in this world. Only perfect intentions."
- Robin of Locksley: You are an honor to your countrymen today, Azeem. You fought better than twenty English knights.
- Robin of Locksley: You were to use this information to get close to me and then kill me, isn't that right? What are you intentions?
- Will Scarlett: Well, that depends on you, Locksley. I never trusted you, that's no secret. But what I want to know is, are you gonna finish what you started? I want to know if he's gonna turn and run like the spoiled little rich boy I always took him for.
- Robin of Locksley: Did I wrong you in another life, Will Scarlett? Where does this intolerable hatred for me come from?
- Will Scarlett: From knowing that... that our father loved you more than me.
- Robin of Locksley: Our father?
- Will Scarlett: We are brothers, Robin of Locksley. I am the son of the woman who replaced your dead mother for a time. It was your anger that drove them apart!
- Robin of Locksley: It's a lie!
- Will Scarlett: It's not a lie! You ruined my life! I have more reason to hate you than anyone. Yet I found myself daring to believe in you. And what I want to know, brother, is will you stay with us and finish what you started?
- Bishop of Hereford: It's rebellion, my lord. We must escape.
- Sheriff of Nottingham: Marry us!
- Maid Marian: I will never marry you!
- [Mortianna slaps Marian hard]
- Sheriff of Nottingham: That's my wife, crone!
- [Mortianna feels Marian's stomach]
- Maid Marian: Get away!
- Mortianna: She is ripe. She will give us a son. You must take her now.
- Sheriff of Nottingham: I will not take her until we are properly wed! For once in my life, I will have something pure. Will you stop interfering?
- Bishop of Hereford: It's madness to delay.
- Mortianna: Marry them or face me!
- Maid Marian: You came for me... you're alive...
- Robin of Locksley: I would die for you.
- King Richard: I will not allow this wedding to proceed!
- Robin of Locksley: My lord!
- King Richard: Unless, I'm allowed to give the bride away! You look radiant, cousin.
- Maid Marian: Oh, Richard.
- Robin of Locksley: I am deeply honored, Your Majesty.
- King Richard: It is I who am honored, Lord Locksley. Thanks to you, I still have the throne. Friar, proceed!
- For the good of all men, and the love of one woman, he fought to uphold justice by breaking the law.
|Kevin Costner||Robin of Locksley|
|Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio||Maid Marian Dubois|
|Christian Slater||Will Scarlett|
|Alan Rickman||Sheriff of Nottingham|
|Micheel McShane||Friar Tuck|
|Brian Blessed||Lord Locksley|
|Michael Wincott||Sir Guy of Gisbourne|
|Harold Innocent||Bishop of Hereford|
|Daniel Peacock||David of Doncaster|
|Jack Wild||Much the Miller's Son|
|Sean Connery||King Richard I|