A woman who could always love would never grow old; and the love of mother and wife would often give or preserve many charms if it were not too often combined with parental and conjugal anger. There remains in the face of women who are naturally serene and peaceful, and of those rendered so by religion, an after-spring, and later an after-summer, the reflex of their most beautiful bloom.Jean Paul Richter
- Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in your first half-hour at the table, then YOU are the sucker.
- We're not playing together. But then again, we're not playing against each other either. It's like the Nature Channel. You don't see piranhas eating each other, do you?
- Kid's got alligator blood.
- Worm: Just like the saying says, you know? In the poker game of life, women are the rake. They are the fucking rake.
- Mike: What the fuck are you talking about? What saying?
- Worm: I don't know. There oughta be one.
- [before inviting Worm up to his place]
- Mike: All right, listen. Things haven't been so smooth on the home front, so tone it down a little, all right?
- Worm: Tone down what, motherfucker?
- Mike: Great. Never mind.
- Mike: So, uh, Nick the Greek, what's with kiting my checks?
- Worm: I'm on empty.
- Mike: How much was the hooker?
- Worm: Mike, please! "Relaxation therapist!"
- Worm: Hey, you know what cheers me up when I'm feeling shitty?
- Mike: What?
- Worm: Rolled-up aces over kings.
- Mike: Is that right?
- Worm: Check-raising stupid tourists and taking huge pots off of them.
- Mike: Yeah?
- Worm: Stacks and towers of checks I can't even see over. Playing all-night, high-limit Hold'em at the Taj, "where the sand turns to gold."
- Mike: Fuck it, let's go.
- Worm: Don't tease me.
- Mike: Let's play some fucking cards!
- Mike: Fifteen grand in five days, I can do that. I've gone on rushes like that before.
- Worm: Uh, under optimum conditions with a bank roll. Maybe, maybe. But... what do you got on you?
- Mike: I got, like, 350.
- Worm: Nah, that's only 1200 between us. We mind as well play the fucking lotto.
- Worm: O yeah, one more thing, I got a feelin.'
- Mike: Yeah, what feeling is that?
- Worm: I know you know this feeling... You know this feeling very well... I mean, you got your table all set up, your fork, your knife, your A1 sauce...
- Mike and Worm: All you need is the steak.
- [last lines of the movie]
- Taxi Driver: Vegas, huh?
- Mike: Yep.
- Taxi Driver: Good luck, man.
- Mike: [narrating] People insist on calling it luck. [to taxi driver] Thanks. [narrating] First prize at the World Series of Poker is a million dollars. Does it have my name on it? I don't know. But I'm going to find out.
- You've got to play the hand you're dealt.
- In The Game Of Life... Play The Cards You're Dealt
- Trust everyone... but always cut the cards
- Pick a card, any card
- It's immoral to let a sucker keep his money