It doesn't matter how new an idea is: what matters is how new it becomes.Elias Canetti
- [quoting Knute Rockne] We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. We're gonna get 'em on the run boys and once we get 'em on the run we're gonna keep 'em on the run. And then we're gonna go go go go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goal line! This is a team they say is...good; well I think we're better than them. They can't Hit us. So what do you say men? [mimicking the team] Yeah
- [reading his Notre Dame admissions letter on his final try] Dear Mr. Ruettiger...College of Arts and Letters has been approved...[looking up, crying] Oh thank God.
- Fortune: You're five feet nothin'. 100 and nothin'. And you got hardly a speck of athletic ability. And you hung in with the best college football team in the land for two years. And you're also gonna walk outta here with a degree from the University of Notre Dame. In this lifetime, you don't have to prove nothin' to nobody except yourself. And after what you've gone through, if you haven't done that by now, it ain't gonna never happen. Now go on back.
- Father Cavanaugh: Son, in 35 years of religious study, I have only come up with two hard, incontrovertible facts: there is a God, and...I am not Him.
- Pete: Having dreams is what makes life tolerable.
- Coach: Let me put it to you as clean as I can. We have 95 players here so accomplished as athletes in high school, we gave them full scholarships to the best football program in the country. NCAA regulations allow us to dress just 60 for home games. Which means at least 35 scholarship players are gonna be watching the games from the stands. So, if any of you has any fantasies of running out of that stadium tunnel with your gold helmet shining in the sun, you'd best leave them right here. Of you 15 dreamers out there, maybe we'll keep one or two. My job is to basically beat the shit out of you for the next five days. Our first teams are gonna pound on you like you're their worst enemies. Your greatest value to us is, we don't care if you get hurt. Like what you hear so far? Anybody want to run home to Mama? Joe, they're all yours.
- Jaime O'Hara: It's the last practice of the season and this asshole thinks it's the Super Bowl!
- Ara Parseghian: You just summed up your entire sorry career here in one sentence! If you had a tenth of the heart of Ruettiger, you'd have made All-American by now! As it is, you just went from third team to the scout team! Go on get out of here!
- Roland Steele: I want Rudy to dress in my place coach. He deserves it.
- Dan Devine: Don't be ridiculous, Georgia Tech is one of the top offense teams in the country. (Pause) You're an All-American and our captain; act like it.
- Roland Steele: [laying down his jersey] I believe I am.
(several other players follow, one at a time, dropping their jerseys on the coach's desk one by one)
- When people say dreams don't come true, tell them about Rudy.
- Sometimes a winner is a dreamer who just won't quit.
- It's not the size of the dog in the fight, It's the size of the fight in the dog....
- Sean Astin - Daniel "Rudy" Ruettiger
- Jon Favreau - D-Bob
- Ned Beatty - Daniel Ruettiger, Sr.
- Charles S. Dutton - Fortune
- Jason Miller - Ara Parseghian
- Scott Benjaminson - Frank Ruettiger
- Lili Taylor - Sherry
- Robert Prosky - Father John Cavanaugh
- Vince Vaughn - Jamie O'Hara
- Chelcie Ross - Dan Devine
- Steve Hely - Ed Silver