Saddām Hussein `Abd al-Majid al-Tikrītī (Hussein also spelled Husayn and Hussain; Arabic: صدام حسين عبدالمجيد التكريتي; (born 28 April, 1937; died 30 December, 2006) was President of Iraq from 1979 to 2003. Born in Tikrit, Saddam joined the revolutionary Ba'ath Party; after his escape from prison in 1967 he became a leading member. Following the Ba'ath coup of 1968 he became Deputy President and in 1979 succeeded Hassan Al-Bakr as President. He went to war against Iran in 1980 hoping to conquer it quickly but instead became bogged down in an eight year war. In 1990, Iraqi forces overtook Kuwait; they were forced out by an international military coalition. From 1991 to 2003 Saddam led an isolated government, until his government was overthrown by an invasion led by the United States. Saddam was then put on trial for crimes against humanity, and on 5 November 2006 he was sentenced to death by hanging and was executed on 30 December 2006.
- The most important thing about marriage is that the man must not let the woman feel downtrodden simply because she is a woman and he is a man.
- Interview with the Al-Mar'a magazine in 1978.
- The great duel, the mother of all battles has begun. The dawn of victory nears as this great showdown begins!
- Broadcast on Baghdad state radio, January 17, 1991.
- Comment on the beginning of Desert Storm.
- In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most merciful. Invite all to the way of thy Lord with the wisdom and beautiful preaching, and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious, for the lord knoweth best who have strayed from His path and who receive guidance.
- Open letter to American people, September 16, 2001.
- In the Name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful. There are those who, on being told: 'Your enemy has mustered a great force against you and so fear them,' they grew more tenacious in their faith and replied: Allah's help is all -sufficient for us. He is the best Protector'. Thus they earned Allah's grace and bounty and no harm befell them. For they had striven to please Allah, whose, bounty is infinite. It is Satan that prompts men to fear his followers. But have no fear of them. Fear Me, if you are true believers. Do not grieve for those that quickly renounce their faith. They will not harm Allah in the least. He seeks to give them no share in the hereafter. Their punishment shall be terrible indeed. God speaks the truth.
- "Full text: Saddam Hussein's speech", The Guardian, January 17, 2003.
- Long live Iraq! Long live the Iraqi people! Down with the traitors!
- Death Penalty for Saddam Hussein (BBC News online)
- Reaction on being sentenced to death, November 5, 2006.
- I call on you not to hate, because hate does not leave space for a person to be fair and it makes you blind and closes all doors of thinking.
- Saddam Hussein Farewell Letter (MSNBC online)
- Statement in a farewell letter written to the Iraqi people, written Nov. 5, 2006, released Dec. 27, 2006
- la ilaha il-Allah, wa Muhammadu... (There is no god but God and Muhammed [is His prophet])
- The last words of Saddam Hussein when the trap door of the gallows was released 
About Saddam Hussein
- Should Saddam be considered a condottiere, once in the pay of the U.S. government and then rebellious against his former masters? When war constitutes the global order and when the generals become the highest magistrates, we cannot but expect such developments.
- The images of Saddam Hussein endlessly repeated on our screens before the war (Saddam firing a rifle into the air) made him into some kind of Iraqi Charlton Heston—the president not only of Iraq, but also of the Iraqi Rifle Association. The true interest of these images, however, is that they remind us how the ideological struggle is fought out not only at the level of arguments but also at the level of images: which image will hegemonize a field, and function as the paradigmatic embodiment of an idea, a regime, a problem.
- Vous êtes mon ami personnel. Vous êtes assuré de mon estime, de ma considération et de mon affection.
- Translation: You are my personal friend. Let me assure you of my esteem, consideration and bond.
- French president Jacques Chirac in a declaration on September 5, 1974.
- Source: Aeschimann, Éric & Boltanski, Christophe (2006). Chirac d'Arabie : Les mirages d'une politique française (in French), Grasset & Fasquelle, pp. 64, ISBN 2246691214.
- I wish things were like when Ronald Reagan was still president.
- Reported in the July 2005 issue of GQ, which quoted Spc. Sean O'Shea, one of Hussein's former guards.
- If Israel attacks any Arab country ... we have the means to burn half of Israel.
- Speech at an Arab League summit in 1989 (translated from Arabic)
- Kuwait is an Iraqi territory. It was not an invasion.
- Statement at his trial in 2006.
- Of the lessons also gained from the history of mankind is the fact that greed and arrogance, when combined, lead the oppressor to do injustice not only to others, but to himself as well; once this combination of greed and arrogance has misled him into a sense of undefeatable capability and power, as he takes the road of falsehood and aggression, committing the most heinous acts and proceeding from that sick imagination, to fall down the precipice and then into hell.
- One of the lessons of recent and distant history is that all empires and bearers of the coffin of evil, whenever they mobilized their evil against the Arab nation, or against the Muslim world, they were themselves buried in their own coffin, with their sick dreams and their arrogance and greed, under Arab and Islamic soil; or they returned to die on the land from which they had proceeded to perpetrate aggression. This has been the case with all empires preceeding our present time.
- You gotta find a good woman. Not too smart, not too dumb. Not too old, not too young. One that can cook and clean.
- to a guard of his named Specialist Sean O'Shea after his capture by U.S. forces)
- I will not return! I will not come to an unjust court! Go to hell!
- To the judge at the end of a court session on December 6, 2005.
- You are scared of the interior minister. He doesn't scare my dog.
- To Judge Rauf Abdel Rahman.
- If your Television is broken, put my picture on it.
- Quoted in the film "Uncle Saddam". (This quote is actually an Iraqi joke and was not actually spoken by Saddam.)
- A favourite joke, noting the fact that when in power most Iraqi television had programmes praising Saddam.
- Keep them separated and interrogate them.
- After personally interrogating citizens in Dujail, after an assasination attempt.
About Saddam Hussein
- Your Excellency, Mr President: I greet you, in the name of the many thousands of people in Britain who stood against the tide and opposed the war and aggression against Iraq and continue to oppose the war by economic means, which is aimed to strangle the life out of the great people of Iraq.
- We are safer, the region is safer, the world is safer without him.
- As far as Saddam Hussein being a great military strategist, he is neither a strategist, nor is he schooled in the operational arts, nor is he a tactician, nor is he a general, nor is he a soldier. Other than that, he's a great military man.
- Gen Norman Schwarzkopf