Samson Raphael Hirsch
Rabbi Samson Raphael Hirsch (June 20, 1808 – December 31, 1888) was the intellectual founder of the Torah im Derech Eretz school of contemporary Orthodox Judaism. He wrote notable commentaries on the Pentateuch, Psalms and Jewish prayer book, as well as ethical and philosophical works.
- However important it is that love shall precede marriage, it is far more important that it shall continue after marriage.
- Commentary on Genesis XXIV, 67 quoted by Joseph H. Hertz, Pentateuch, p.87
- Torah im Derekh Eretz
- Integration of traditional Judaism with secular education 
- The prophet of the new message came into their midst with the cry of "religion allied to progress"; he filled the blank, pacified their conscience and wiped out their shame. With this magic word he turned irreligion into Godliness, apostasy into priesthood, sin into merit, frivolity into virtue, weakness into strength, thoughtlessness into profundity.
- Essay "Religion Allied to Progress"