I love you, not for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you.Roy Croft
(Redirected from Saramago)
- The day before is what we bring to the day we're actually living through, life is a matter of carrying along all those days-before just as someone might carry stones, and when we can no longer cope with the load, the work is done.
- Page 61, 2002 Harvest Hardcover edition
- ... because contrary to what people say, two weaknesses don't make for a still greater weakness, but for renewed strength ...
- It should be noted that fingers are without brains, these develop gradually with the passage of time and with the help of what the eyes see…. That is why the fingers have always excelled at uncovering what is concealed.
- Inside us there is something that has no name, that something is what we are.
- Blind people do not need a name, I am my voice, nothing else matters.
- All the scheming and plotting in the world won't result in something lasting, transcendent. Anything that's authentic, that's real, comes in the form of a gift. Even if by accident.
- Human vocabulary is still not capable, and probably never will be of knowing, recognizing, and communicating everything that can be humanly experienced and felt.
- I think we are blind. Blind people who can see, but do not see.
- Perhaps it is the language that chooses the writers it needs, making use of them so that each might express a tiny part of what it is.
- Some people spend their entire lives reading but never get beyond reading the words on the page, they don't understand that the words are merely stepping stones placed across a fast-flowing river, and the reason they're there is so that we can reach the farther shore, it's the other side that matters.
- There are times when it is best to be content with what one has, so as not to lose everything.
- This is how everyone has to begin, men who have never known a woman, women who have never known a man, until the day comes for the one who knows to teach the one who does not.
- What kind of world is this that can send machines to Mars and does nothing to stop the killing of a human being?
- Words were not given to man in order to conceal his thoughts.