Saw is a 2004 horror film about two men who wake up in some kind of basement which is in the secure lair of a serial killer who's been nicknamed "Jigsaw" by the police because of his unusual calling card.
- Yes, I'm sick, officer. Sick from the disease eating away at me inside. Sick of people who don't appreciate their blessings. Sick of those who scoff at the suffering of others. I'm sick of it all!
- Game over!
- Rise and shine, Adam. You're probably wondering where you are. I'll tell you where you might be. You might be in the room you die in. Up until now you simply sat in the shadows watching others live out their lives. But what do voyeurs see when they look into the mirror? Now, I see you as a strange mix of someone angry, yet apathetic. But mostly just pathetic. So are you going to watch yourself die today, Adam, or do something about it?
- Dr. Gordon, this is your wake-up call. Every day of your working life you have given people the news that they're going to die soon. Now, you will be the cause of death. Your aim in this game is to kill Adam. You have until six on the clock to do it. There's a man in the room with you. When there's that much poison in your blood, the only thing left to do -- is shoot yourself. There are ways to win this hidden all around you. Just remember, X marks the spot for the treasure. If you do not kill Adam by six, then Alison and Diana will die, Dr. Gordon... and I'll leave you in this room to rot. Let the game begin. [whispers] Follow your heart.
- Hello, Paul. You are a perfectly healthy, sane and middle-class male. Yet last month you ran a straight razor across your wrist. Did you cut yourself because you truly wanted to die, or did you just want some attention? Tonight, you'll show me. The irony is that if you want to die you just have to stay where you are, but if you want to live, you'll have to cut yourself again. Find the path through the razor-wire to the door. But hurry. At three o'clock that door will lock, and then, this room becomes your tomb. How much blood will you shed to stay alive, Paul?
- Hello, Mark. If you are so sick, then why do I have so many photos of you up and about? Let's put your so-called "illness" to the test. Right now, there's a slow acting poison in your veins. The antidote is inside the safe; the combination to the safe is written on the wall. Hurry up and program it in, but watch your step. [Mark sees broken glass all over the floor] By the way, that's a flammable substance smeared on your body, so I would be careful with that candle if I were you... or all the people you've burned with your act just might have their revenge.
- Hello, Amanda. You don't know me, but I know you. I want to play a game. Here's what happens if you lose. The device you are wearing is hooked into your upper and lower jaw. When the timer in the back goes off, your mouth will be permanently ripped open. Think of it like a reverse bear trap. Here, I'll show you. [on videotape, a mannequin's head is destroyed by the device] There is only one key to open the device. It's in the stomach of your dead cell mate. Look around, Amanda. Know that I'm not lying. You better hurry up. Live or die. Make your choice.
- [After Amanda has passed her test] Congratulations. You are still alive. Most people are so ungrateful to be alive. But not you. Not anymore.
- Hello, Mr. Hindle... or, as they called you around the hospital, Zep. I want you to make a choice. There's a slow-acting poison coursing through your system, which only I have the antidote for. Will you murder a mother and her child to save yourself? Listen carefully, if you will; there are rules.
Dr. Lawrence Gordon
- He doesn't want us to cut through our chains. He wants us to cut through our feet.
- Zep, you perverted little psychopath! I'm going to take great pleasure in seeing you pay for this, you bastard FUCK!
- Fuck this shit!
- [to Zep] You. You bastard! I'll fucking kill you! You fucking bastard! I'll fucking kill you! You fucking bastard! I'll fucking kill you!
- Help! Someone help me! Is someone there? Hey! Oh, shit, I'm probably dead.
- My name is Very Fucking Confused; what's your name?
- I went to bed in my shithole apartment and woke up in an actual shithole.
- This is the most fun I've had without a lubricant!
- My last girlfriend was a feminist, vegan punk who broke up with me because she thought I was too angry.
- Face it, Larry, we're both bullshitters. But my camera isn't. It doesn't know how to lie. It only shows you what's put right in front of it.
- I don't give a crap if you cover yourself in peanut butter and had a fifteen hooker gang bang!
- You know, we arrested a dentist last week who liked to play with kids a bit too much. He lived two blocks from here. The sewer lines run under this neighborhood, Doctor.
- Sick bastard.
- I'm gonna kill you, you sick asshole!
- His name's John, Dr. Gordon. He's a very interesting person.
- Good night, little girl.
- Cold-hearted bastard.
- Dr. Gordon's time is up and I've gotta do what I've gotta do and I'm afraid that you're the one who's gonna tell him he failed.
- I'm gonna kill your husband now, Mrs. Gordon!
- You're too late.
- It's the rules!
- Kerry: Looks like our friend Jigsaw likes to book himself front row seats to his own sick little games.
- [first lines]
- Adam Faulkner: Help! Someone, help me! Is someone there? Hey! Oh, shit, I'm probably dead.
- Dr. Lawrence Gordon: You're not dead.
- Adam Faulkner: Who's that? Who's that?
- Dr. Lawrence Gordon: There's no point yelling. I already tried.
- Adam Faulkner: Turn on the lights!
- Dr. Lawrence Gordon: Would if I could.
- Adam Faulkner: What the fuck's going on? Where am I?
- Dr. Lawrence Gordon: I don't know yet.
- Adam Faulkner: What is that smell?
- Dr. Lawrence Gordon: Oh, shit... Hang on. Think I found something.
- [the lights turn on]
- Dr. Lawrence Gordon: Are you hurt?
- Adam Faulkner: I don't know. Yeah!
- Dr. Lawrence Gordon: What's your name?
- Adam Faulkner: My name is Very Fucking Confused; what's your name?
- [Adam is trying to see if someone has taken his kidneys]
- Adam Faulkner: You see any scars?
- Dr. Lawrence Gordon: What?
- Adam Faulkner: This is what they do, man. They kidnap you, then drug you and before you know it, you're in a bathtub and your kidneys are on eBay.
- Dr. Lawrence Gordon: No one has taken your kidneys.
- Adam Faulkner: How can you tell from way over there?
- Dr. Lawrence Gordon: Because you'd either be in terrible agony or you'd be dead by now. Trust me.
- Adam Faulkner: What are you, a surgeon?
- Dr. Lawrence Gordon: Yes.
- Dr. Lawrence Gordon: Did you find anything?
- Adam Faulkner: [searching in toilet] No solids.
- Dr. Lawrence Gordon: How did you know to turn off the lights?
- Adam Faulkner: Who cares? It worked.
- Dr. Lawrence Gordon: Yeah, but how did you know?
- Adam Faulkner: Instinct.
- Dr. Lawrence Gordon: Instinct?
- Adam Faulkner: Yeah.
- Dr. Lawrence Gordon: You know what? You're a terrible liar.
- Dr. Lawrence Gordon: Who are you?
- Adam Faulkner: You know who I am.
- Dr. Lawrence Gordon: Stop the lies! You're a liar! I need to know the truth!
- Adam Faulkner: I'm a liar? What did you do last night, Lawrence? Work at a hospital, saving sick children? You told me that after you left your house last night, you went to work at a hospital.
- Dr. Lawrence Gordon: That's because it's the truth.
- Adam Faulkner: No. Your wife is right, Larry. You don't recall getting your picture taken in the parking lot? [takes out some pictures and throws them] I can prove that you didn't go anywhere near a hospital last night.
- Detective David Tapp: At least we'll have the cover of darkness.
- Detective Steven Sing: So will anybody else.
- Alison Gordon: How can you go through life pretending your happy?
- Dr. Lawrence Gordon: I am happy.
- Alison Gordon: That is complete bullshit; I'd rather you break down and tell me you hated me. At least there would be some passion in it.
- Adam Faulkner: No! Lawrence, please! I'm begging you! Lawrence, it's not me who did this to you!
- Dr. Lawrence Gordon: You have to die.
- Adam Faulkner: No! I want to live!
- Dr. Lawrence Gordon: I'm sorry...
- Adam Faulkner: I want to live!
- Dr. Lawrence Gordon: My family... [shoots Adam] There! I did it! Now show them to me!
- Zep Hindle: [examining Adam's body] You're too late. [aims a gun at Lawrence]
- Dr. Lawrence Gordon: Why?
- Zep Hindle: It's the rules.
- John: Most people are so ungrateful to be alive. But not you. Not anymore. [begins to close the door]
- [Adam screams]
- John: Game over! [slams the door shut]
- Adam Faulkner: [screams] Don't! Don't! No! [screams fade out]
- Every piece has a puzzle.
- How much blood would you shed to stay alive?
- Every puzzle has its pieces.
- Live or die. Make your choice.
- Dare you see Saw?
- Oh, yes... there will be blood.
- Leigh Whannell - Adam Faulkner
- Tobin Bell - Jigsaw Killer
- Cary Elwes - Dr. Lawrence Gordon
- Danny Glover - Tapp
- Ken Leung - Sing
- Dina Meyer - Allison Kerry
- Mike Butters - Paul
- Paul Gutrecht - Mark
- Michael Emerson - Zep
- Monica Potter - Alison Gordon
- Makenzie Vega - Diana Gordon
- Shawnee Smith - Amanda Young