Say Anything is a film that was released in 1989. It was Cameron Crowe's first movie as a director and stars John Cusack, Ione Skye, John Mahoney and Lili Taylor. It is most famous for the scene where John Cusack's character, Lloyd Dobler, holds up a boombox playing "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel. The movie's main theme is "optimism as a revolutionary concept" according to Cusack and Crowe.
Written and directed by Cameron Crowe
- I am looking for a "dare to be great" situation.
- I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.
- I got a question. If you guys know so much about women, how come you're here at like the Gas 'n' Sip on a Saturday night completely alone drinking beers with no women anywhere?
- I'm the distraction that's going with her to England, sir.
- Okay, how ya doing? I'm Lloyd, and we're gonna watch the movie "Cocoon." I've never actually seen it, but I heard its very good, it makes you happy. Its about a group of people who go to outer space... hope I didn't give anything away there
- Just knowing that a version like that exists, knowing that just for a minute she felt that and wrote "I can't help loving you". That has to be worth something.
- I'm been thinking about all these things and... you're probably standing there monitoring. And one more thing - about the letter. Nuke it. Flame it. Destroy it. - It hurts me to know it's out there. Later.
- You used to be fun. You used to be warped and twisted and hilarious... and I mean that in the best way - I mean it as a compliment!
- She's gone. She gave me a pen. I gave her my heart, she gave me a pen.
- I have this theory of convergence, that good things always happen with bad things. I know you have to deal with them at the same time, but I just don't know why they have to happen at the same time. I just wish I could work out some schedule. Am I just babbling? Do you know what I mean?
- I'm really...scared.
- That'll never be me, that'll never be me. That'll never be, never be me. NO... NO, NEVER, NEVER, EVER. And don't you EVER THINK IT.
- Don't be a guy, be a man. The world is full of guys.
- Brains stick with brains. The bomb could go off and their mutant genes would form the same cliques.
- You invade my soul.
- I'm a good person but you...you're a great person.
- Why do you eat that stuff? There's no food in your food.
- Why can't you be his uncle instead of his playmate?
- James Court: Is this because of Lloyd?
- Joe: I want to get back together, Mimi is gonna go to college and I'm gonna be alone and I'm gonna break up with her before she leaves, have sex with me.
- Diane: Be friends?
- Lloyd: Yeah. With potential.
- Diane:Am I wrecking my car?
- Lloyd: Yeah... a little.
- Lloyd: Oh... you must think I'm a dick.
- Diane: No, Lloyd, we shared the most intimate thing two people can share...
- Lloyd: You shared it with a dick.
- Diane: Are you shaking?
- Lloyd: No.
- Diane: You're shaking.
- Lloyd:I don't think so.
- Diane: You're cold.
- Lloyd: I don't think I am.
- Diane: Then why are you shaking?
- Lloyd:I don't know. I think I'm happy.
- Diane: Nobody thinks it will work, do they?
- Lloyd: No. You just described every great success story.