Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei
Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei (in English as So Long, Mr. Despair) is a Japanese 2007 television comedic anime based on the same title manga. The story is about a suicidal high school teacher Nozomu Itoshiki and his students, most of whom display various extreme personality quirks.
Anime first season
(In the beaming spring day, Kafuka stopped Nozomu from suicide forcibly)
- Nozomu: What if I had died!?
- Kafuka: Eh?
- Nozomu: Oh?
- Nozomu: Once again, I didn't die... Why did you stop me?
- Kafuka: You just said "What if I had died?"
- Nozomu: I am a man whose life is worth nothing.
- Kafuka: You didn't intend to die, right?
- Nozomu: What are you talking about!? I was fully prepared die!
- Kafuka: Of course not!
(Nozomu despairs of a world which solve everything with money)
- Nozomu: I'm in despair! This money-grubbing world has left me in despair!
- A "man" who can only see things in a negative light.
- A "girl" who can only see things in a positive light.
- A meeting that was never meant to happen.
(Nozomu is introducing himself for his students. Nozomu says that the stroke number of his name is worse)
- Kafuka: Sice stroke number is a Japanese thing, writing your name horizontally would eliminate the problem.
- Nozomu: Horizontally... W-Wait a second! Anything but that!
- (When his name 糸色望 is written horizontally, it resembles "DESPAIR" 絶望 in Kanji)
- Kafuka: Mr. Despair!
(Nozomu is telling a stalker student that true deep love is commiting suicide together)
- Nozomu: The meaning of love is found through death!
- Matoi: Oh...
- Nozomu: If you truly love each other, then die together. Red lead, sleeping pills, and a will, along with other items. This is my travel kit, which I always carry on me. I'll leave it here.
- Matoi: (The ultimate form of love... You love one another so much that you wish to die together?)
- Nozomu: Tsunetsuki-san. If you'd like, I'll die with you whenever you want. Then bon voyage.
- Matoi: (That was a confession of love)
(An accident in the infirmary, a massive misunderstanding, and more girl trouble for Nozomu...)
- Chiri: As a man and a woman, now that it's come to this, we have no choice. Please do a proper job of it.
- Nozomu: A proper job?
- Chiri: Properly register me as a family member! Properly meet with my parents!
(Nozomu is communicating with a shy student who can only talk through e-mail)
- Nozomu: "Hello." Send.
- Meru: Mail. Mail. Mail. Mail. Mail. Mail.
- Piroriparopirirora (onomatopoeia of Maru's mail)
- Nozomu: Looks like I got a reply. Let's see. Uh...
- "Moron You're annoying Don't wear it creepy-looking kimono"
- Nozomu: Wha- There must be some kind of mistake, right?
- Meru: Mail. Mail.
- "Me Right here The person in front you. Damn four-eyes."
- Nozomu: She's abusive in her e-mails!? People like you badmouth me on the Internet! But then they behave properly in person, so I can't get mad at them! You no longer get preferential treatment!
- I'm in despair! The Internet has left me in despair!
(Meru's abusive e-mails sweep through the class)
- "You're just a panty shot character Show your panties already Flash"
- Kaere: I'll sue!
(Kafuka is sending messages somewhere)
- Kafuka: This is Earth, this is Earth. Is everyone doing well?
- Really? Planet Pororoca is currently experiencing a spring that comes once every fourteen years.
- The fields are covered with next life grass and raw meat flowers for a year,
- shaky grasshoppers and dream-colored stink bugs and dark scarabs have gathered for an insect conference!
- Nozomu: Where are your messages being sent!?
(Chiri is delivering a gag)
- Chiri: This is where the contest parts.
Anime second season
- Chiri: You're probably surprised. This class is full of troublemakers with a teacher like that. But I'm relieved that you're normal.
- Nami: Normal!?
- Normal, normal, normal... Normal is never meant in a good way!
- Chiri: Everybody in this class belongs to Sensei! And you have no chance!
(Zetsubou sensei drawing song)
- Jun: Zetsubou sensei drawing song, let's begin!
- Chiri: Let's sing along and draw properly.
- A tulip has fallen sideways due to the wind
- Lightning Flash!
- Rain pours down
- The rain leaks through the cracks and makes two round puddles
- Let's go fishing, it's a fishing hocks
- We made some dried fish with what we caught
- It's Zetsubou sensei!
- Jun: Did you all draw well?
- Jun & Chiri: Bye bye!