Sistani has abstained from personally delivering public addresses and shunned media contacts. As a result, quotations pertaining to him are from secondary sources which were made available through interlocutors, aides, and so forth.
- People are not finding potable water and you're bringing me juice? No.
Fatwa against Israeli goods
- It is not permissible for a Muslim to buy products of the countries that are in a state of war with Islam and Muslims, for example, Israel.
- Sistani's office refuses the replacement of the law [which excludes former Baath Party members from returning to public life] because it is not an Iraqi demand but it is a political demand to please some sides.
- "Top Iraqi Shi'ite cleric rejects Baathist law", 2 April 2007.
- [Gays and lesbians should be] Punished, in fact, killed. The people involved should be killed in the worst, most severe way of killing.