They come into being not through demonstration but through revelation, through the medium of powerful personalities.Albert Einstein
- A child may have too much of his mother's tit.
- A dry Lent, a fertile year.
- A penny saved is a penny gained.
- A thistle is a fat salad for an ass's mouth.
- Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.
- Better be ill spoken of by one before all than by all before one.
- Better bend than break.
- Better keep the devil at the door than turn him out of the house.
- Bring a cow into the hall and she'll run the byre.
- Confessed faults are half-mended.
- Cutting out well is better than sewing up well.
- Early to bed early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.
- Every fisher loves best the trout that is of his own tickling.
- Fools look to tomorrow; wise men use tonight.
- Fur coat and no breeches is all I've ever known it by. - Generally meaning a person who spends all on outwardly appearances, while not having the grounding to support it - ie; expensive car but no money for petrol/insurance.
- He that has one sheep in the flock will like all the rest the better for it.
- He that loves law will get his fill of it.
- It is ill fishing if the hook is bare.
- It's an ill wind that blows naebody any good.
- It's sin and not poverty that makes men miserable.
- Learn young, learn fair; learn old, learn more.
- Many haws, many snows.
- Money is flat and was meant to be piled up.
- Never go to the devil and a dish-clout in your hand.
- Never marry for money. Ye'll borrow it cheaper.
- One for sorrow, two for joy,
Three for a girl, four for a boy.
Five for silver, six for gold,
And seven for a secret that must never be told.
- - superstition relating to how many magpies one might observe at any given time.
- One may ride a free horse to death.
- Open confession is good for the soul.
- The first dish pleaseth all.
- They are good that are away.
- To marry is to halve your rights and double your duties.
- Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
- What baites one, banes another.
- What may be done at any time will be done at no time.
- When all fruits fails, welcome haws.
- What's before you will not go by you.