Secondhand Lions is a 2003 American adventure/comedy film about a young boy, Walter, (Haley Joel Osment) who is sent to live with his two eccentric but mysterious great-uncles (Hub and Garth McCann (Robert Duvall, Michael Caine) on a farm in Texas. The movie was filmed in Lockhart, Texas.
- She was a real lion, wasn't she? There at the end. A real jungle lion. A real Africa lion.
- I’m Hub McCann. I’ve fought in two world wars, and countless smaller ones on three continents. I’ve led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and tanks. I’ve seen the headwaters of the Nile and tribes of natives no white men had ever seen before. I’ve won and lost a dozen fortunes, killed many men, and loved only one woman with a passion a flea like you could never begin to understand. That’s who I am.
- Twice I've held your life in my hands, and twice I have given it back to you; the next time, your life is mine.
- To the Sheik whom Hub has defeated in a duel.
- Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things that a man needs to believe in the most: that people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; that love, true love, never dies... No matter if they're true or not, a man should believe in those things because those are the things worth believing in.
- Part of Hub's famous 'what every boy needs to know about being a man 'speech.
- What do you want us to die of... old age?
- The kid gets it all. Just plant us in the damned garden with the stupid lion.
- Text of the will left by Hub and Garth, being read by an older Walter.