Slap Shot is a 1977 film starring Paul Newman and Michael Ontkean and directed by George Roy Hill. The film is based on a book written by Nancy Dowd, based in part on her brother Ned Dowd's experiences playing minor league hockey in the United States in the seventies, during which time violence, especially in the low minors, was the selling point of the game.
- Directed by George Roy Hill.
Reggie Dunlop (Head Coach | Captain)
- Who are these guys I never even heard of them?
- C'mon Braden our line starts
The Hanson Brothers (Steve, Jack and Jeff)
- Well Reg is our coach
Yeah, sure Old Time Hockey!
Like Eddie Shore
Eddie Shore yeah
Coach....our line starts?
- Gimme a grape or an orange and none of that stinkin' rootbeer
- Hey ya think they show Speed Racer here?
- [Cheifs fashion show]
Jim Ahern: I look like some sorta cock suckin FAGGOT!
Johnny Upton: I'm gonna flash them Joe! I am gonna flash them! I am gonna walk down that stinkin' aisle, I am gonna open this faggot bathrobe and wiggle my dick at 'em!
Joe McGrath: You WILL not!
Johhny Upton: Yes I am Joe and you know why? Because I want you to have a heart attack and die so that we never have to do this shit again. You and your fuckin' fashion shows.
- Reggie Dunlop: You guys triplets or something?
Jack Hanson: Nah, I am in the middle...Steve's 20 and Jeff's 18
Reggie Dunlop: Where ya from?
Jack Hanson: Iron League
Reggie Dunlop: The Iron League huh, lotta fights?
Jack Hanson: Nah..hey I wanna a soda
Reggie Dunlop: We paid for you here for a week then you gotta find a room of your own
Jack Hanson: Ok coach....Gimme a grape or an orange and none of that stinkin' rootbeer
- [after meeting the Hansons]
Reggie Dunlop: You cheap sonofabitch. Those guys are retards.
McGrath: I got a good deal on those boys. Scout said they showed a lot of promise.
Reggie Dunlop:: They brought their fuckin toys!
McGrath: I'd rather have them playing with their toys than playing with themselves.
Reggie Dunlop: They're too dumb to play with themselves! I've done enough shitwork for today. What did you trade for them, a used puck bag? Boy, every piece of garbage that comes into the league, you gotta buy it.
- Reggie Dunlop: Hey Hanrahan! Suzanne sucks pussy! She's a dyke! I know! I know! A lesbian! A lesbian! A lesbian!
- Reggie Dunlop: You know, your son looks like a fag to me.
Anita McCambridge: I beg your pardon?
Reggie Dunlop: You better get re-married again, cause he's gonna wind up with someone's cock in his mouth before you can say Jack Robinson.
Anita McCambridge: How dare you. How DARE you!"
- Johnny Upton: They're fuckin horrible looking
Reggie Dunlop: Don't look at me it was the old man's doing
Johnny Upton: What the old man trade for these assholes a used puck bag? Watch Braden he's gonna do something
Ned Braden: Hi. Are you guys brothers?
Johnny Upton: Are you guys brothers..ha ha ha ha what a life!
- Tim McCracken: Dunlop, you suck cock.
Reggie Dunlop: All I can get.
- Joe McGrath: You can't put a bounty on a man's head.
Reggie Dunlop: I just did.
- Reggie Dunlop: Let 'em know you're there! Get that stick in their side, let 'em know you're there! Put some fuckin' lumber in their teeth, let 'em know you're there!
Ned Braden (sarcastically): Bleed all over 'em, let 'em know you're there.
- Reggie Dunlop: Lard ass Barkley Donaldson,You all saw what happened. Stick down, gloves off, He challenged the Chiefs. Called us names, CALLED US NAMES! But Dave was there. Dave's a killer.
Johnny Upton: Dave's a mess.
Reggie Dunlop: But Dave's out. Who's gonna take his place?
Ned Braden: Is the answer Jesus?.
Reggie Dunlop:Ok guys. Show us what you got![looking directly to the Hansons]
- [discussing penalties, in broken English]
Denis Lemieux: You go to da box for 2 minutes, ya know, by yourself...you feel shame...and then you get free.
Jim Carr: Uh the Chiefs are at home tonight against Hyannisport at The War Memorial at 8. Good seats are still available.
- [discussing hockey rules and customs, in broken English]
Denis Lemieux: Icing 'appen when dee puck come down... Bang! ... You know... before dee udder guy. ...Nobody dere. My arm go comes up like dis, den dee game stop den start hup."
- Joe McGrath: They've come tonight...to challenge the Chiefs, the toughest team in the Federal League. Not this...bunch of...pussies (stomps out out locker room)
Reggie Dunlop: Scouts?
- Paul Newman - Reggie Dunlop
- Paul D'Amato - Tim "Dr. Hook" McCracken
- Strother Martin - Joe McGrath
- Michael Ontkean - Ned Braden
- Jennifer Warren - Francine Dunlop
- Lindsay Crouse - Lily Braden
- Jerry Houser - Dave 'Killer' Carlson
- Andrew Duncan - Jim Carr
- Jeff Carlson - Jeff Hanson
- Steve Carlson - Steve Hanson
- David Hanson - Jack Hanson
- Yvon Barrette - Denis Lemieux
- Allan Nicholls - Johnny Upton
- Brad Sullivan - Morris Wanchuk
- Stephen Mendillo - Jim Ahern
- Yvan Ponton - Jean Guy Drouin
- Matthew Cowles - Charlie
- Kathryn Walker - Anita McCambridge
- Melinda Dillon - Suzanne Hanrahan
- M. Emmet Walsh - Dickie Dunn
- Swoosie Kurtz - Shirley Upton
- Ronald L. Docken - Lebrun
- Guido Tenesi - Billy Charlebois
- Jean Rosario Tetreault - Bergeron
- Christopher Murney - Hanrahan
- Myron Odegaard - Final Game Referee
- Blake Ball - Gilmore Tuttle
- Ned Dowd - Ogie Ogilthorpe
- Gracie Head - Pam
- Nancy N. Dowd - Andrea
- Barbara L. Shorts - Bluebird
- Larry Block - Peterboro Referee
- Paul Dooley - Hyannisport Announcer
- Mark Bousquet - Andre "Poodle" Lussier
- Connie Madigan - Ross "Mad Dog" Madison
- Joe Nolan - Clarence "Screaming Buffalo" Swamptown
- Cliff Thompson - Walt Comisky (bus driver)