George Lee "Sparky" Anderson (born February 22, 1934 in Bridgewater, South Dakota) is ranked fourth all-time for career managerial wins in Major League Baseball (behind Connie Mack, John McGraw and Tony La Russa) and is the only manager in the history of Major League Baseball to win the World Series while leading clubs in both leagues. He piloted the National League's Cincinnati Reds to the 1975 and 1976 championships, then added a third title in 1984 with the Detroit Tigers of the American League. It is interesting to note that either manager in the 1984 Series would have been the first to win in both leagues, since San Diego Padres (NL) manager Dick Williams had previously won the series with the Oakland Athletics (AL).
- If a team is in a positive frame of mind, it will have a good attitude. If it has a good attitude, it will make a commitment to playing the game right. If it plays the game right, it will win—unless, of course, it doesn't have enough talent to win, and no manager can make goose-liver pate out of goose feathers, so why worry?
- "Baseball is a simple game. If you have good players and if you keep them in the right frame of mind then the manager is a success."
- "He's (Jose Canseco) built like a Greek goddess."
- "I can't believe they pay us to play baseball - something we did for free as kids."
- "I don't know why the players make such a big fuss about sitting in the first class section of the plane. Does that mean they'll get there faster?"
- "If I ever find a pitcher who has heat, a good curve, and a slider, I might seriously consider marrying him, or at least proposing."
- "If I hear Bowie Kuhn say just once more he's doing something for the betterment of baseball, I'm going to throw-up."
- "I only had a high school education and believe me, I had to cheat to get that."
- "Me carrying a briefcase is like a hotdog wearing earrings."
- "People who live in the past generally are afraid to compete in the present. I've got my faults, but living in the past is not one of them. There's no future in it."
- "Players have two things to do. Play and keep their mouths shut."
- "Problem with (John) Wockenfuss getting on base is that it takes three doubles to score him."
- "The only reason I'm coming out here tomorrow is the schedule says I have to."
- "You give us the pitching some of these clubs have and no one could touch us, but God has a way of not arranging that, because it's not as much fun."