Spider-Man is a 2002 film based on the eponymous Marvel comic. It stars Toby Macguire and Willem Dafoe and explains the story of Peter Parker's struggle to balance between his normal life and his life as Spider Man.
- (opening narration) Who am I? You sure you wanna know? The story of my life is not for the faint of heart. If somebody told you it was a happy tale, if somebody said I was just your average guy, not a care in the world...somebody lied. But let me assure you, this, like any other story worth telling, is all about a girl. [cut to first shot of Mary Jane] That girl, the girl next door. Mary Jane Watson. The woman I loved since before I even liked girls. [camera pans to Mary Jane's boyfriend, Flash Thompson]
I'd like to tell you that's me sitting next to her.
[camera goes to a fat guy in the seat in front of MJ]
Heck, I'd even take him!
- (to Bone Saw) That's a cute outfit! Did your husband give it to you?
- No matter what I do, no matter how hard I try...the ones I love will always be the ones who pay.
- (end narration) Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words: 'With great power, comes great responsibility.' This is my gift. My curse. Who am I? I'm Spider-Man!
- (to Mary Jane after being asked what he said when Spider-Man asked about her) I said, um, 'Spider-Man,' I said, 'the great thing about M.J. is when you look in her eyes, and she looks back in yours, everything feels not quite normal, because you feel strong—and weak at the same time. You feel excited, and at the same time terrified. The truth is you don't know the way you feel, except you know the kind of man you want to be. It's as if you've reached the unreachable, and you weren't ready for it.
[Peter after the wrestling game asking for the money that he's supposed to have won.]
- Peter Parker: I need that money.
Wrestling Promoter: I missed the part where that's my problem.
[Peter when letting the guy who stole the money from the wrestling promoter pass by without stopping him.]
- Wrestling Promoter: You coulda taken him apart! Now he's gonna get away with my money!
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's my problem.
- (To the Burglar) What about my uncle?! Did you give him a chance?! Did you?! Answer me!!!
[Peter is about attempting to use his webs for the first time.]
- Fly! Up, up, and away web!, Shazam!, Go, web, go!. [Peter makes different hand shapes, eventually leading up to a "teeny-bopper" hand shape, and wiggles it up and down.]
- Peter, look, you're changing. I know. I went through the exact same thing at your age.
- Peter, these are the years when a man changes into the man he's going to be for the rest of his life. Just be careful who you change into. This guy, Flash Thompson, he probably deserved what happened. But just because you can beat him up, doesn't give you the right to. Remember: with great power comes great responsibility.
- (To Ben) I love you! And Peter loves you! We've been down and out before but somehow we'll get through it.
- You do too much, you're not Superman, you know.
Green Goblin/Norman Osborn
- Jameson, you slime! Who's the photographer who takes the pictures of Spider-Man?!
- There are eight million people in this city, and those teeming masses exist for the sole purpose of lifting the few exceptional people onto their shoulders. You, me; we're exceptional. I could SQUASH YOU LIKE A BUG right now... but I'm offering you a choice. Join me. Imagine what we could accomplish together. What we could create... or we could destroy, causing the deaths of countless innocents and selfless weak again and again and again until we're both dead! Is that what you want? (hops on the Goblin Glider) Think about it, hero!!!!!
- The only thing they like to see more than a hero is to see a hero fail, fall, die trying. In spite of everything you've done, eventually they will hate you...why bother?
- (to Norman) Do you think it was coincidence? So many good things happening for you. All for you. Norman.
- (To Goblin) The Board members--you killed them!
- (to Norman, who has just guessed that the Performance Enhancers created the Goblin)
Bingo! Me! Your greatest creation. Bringing you what you always wanted. Power. Beyond your wildest dreams. And it's only the beginning.
- The cunning warrior attacks neither body nor mind.
- [being fired by the Oscorp Board of Directors] You can't do this to me... I started this company... YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I SACRIFICED?!?!
- Sorry I was late. Work was murder. (smiles) I brought a fruitcake.
- Out, am I?! (to the Oscorp Board of directors, shortly before vaporizing them.)
- Spider-Man! This is why only fools are heroes. Because you never know when some lunatic will come along with a sadistic choice. [holds Mary Jane over the edge of the bridge with his left hand] Let die the woman you love? [motions to his right: he is holding up a bunch of kids up by a cable car] Or...suffer the little children? Make your choice, Spider-Man... and see how a hero is rewarded.
- We are who we choose to be! Now, CHOOSE!
- (singing to the tune of 'Itsy Bitsy Spider') The itsy bitsy Spider went up the water-spout. Down came the Goblin, and took the Spider out. Ah-ha-ha-ha-ha!!
- (choking Dr. Stromm, pulls him up to face and turns normally serious) Back to formula?
- Speak of the Devil!
- Godspeed, Spider-Man.
- [upon felling Spider-Man with a Pumpkin Bomb] You've spun your last web, Spider-Man. Had you not been so selfish, your little girlfriend's death would have been quick and painless! But now that you've really PISSED ME OFF, I'm gonna finish her nice...'and slow...
- MJ and I... we're gonna have a hell of a time!
- (last words) Peter...don't tell Harry.
- (to Goblin) What do you want? (to Norman) To say what you won't. To do what you can't. To remove those standing in your way. (holds up a newspaper and smiles wickedly)
- Can Spider-Man come out to play?
J. Jonah Jameson
- (reading front page Daily Bugle headline) Who is Spider-Man?! He's a criminal, that's who he is! A vigilante! A public menace! (to Robbie Robertson) What's he doing on my front page?
- Tomorrow morning, Spider-Man, page 1, with a decent picture this time. (to Ted Hoffman) Move Conway's to page 7 and give them 10 percent off. No, make it 5 percent.
- (referring to the difficulty in catching Spider-Man on film) Aww, what is he, shy? If we can get a picture of Julia Roberts in a thong, we can certainly get a picture of this weirdo. Put it on the front page: Cash money for a picture of Spider-Man! He doesn't wanna be famous? Then I'll make him infamous!
- (referring to Peter's photos of Spider-Man) They're crap. Crap. Crap. Mega-crap. I'll give you $200 for all of them.
- (Peter has just accused Jameson of slander) It is not! I resent that! Slander is spoken. In print it's libel. What are you, his lawyer? Get lost! Let him sue me, get rich like a normal human being!
- (Peter says Jameson doesn't trust anyone) I trust my barber.
- (Accepts Peter's photos, shows him to the door) Now, I never said you had a job. Meat! I'll send you a box of Christmas meat! Best I can do. Get out of here. Bring me more photos.
- Welcome to the Daily Bugle.
- Hi, Pete!
- Tobey Macguire - Peter Parker/Spider Man
- Kirsten Dunst - Mary Jane Watson
- Willem Dafoe - Norman Osborn/Green Goblin