Starship Troopers (film)
Starship Troopers (film) is a 1997 film that tells the story of an interplanetary war between Earth and colonies of large insect-like aliens in the twenty-third century. It focuses on the experiences of Juan "Johnny" Rico, one of four friends who sign up to the military one year before Earth declares war on the aliens.
- Directed by Paul Verhoeven. Written by Edward Neumeierr. Based on the original novel by Robert A. Heinlein.
- Mr. Rasczak, I want to join the Federal Service and become a citizen. But my Dad thinks I should go to college and remain a civilian as he has. What should I do?
- I'm from Buenos Aires, and I say kill 'em all!
- Someone asked me once if I knew the difference between a civilian and a citizen. I know now. A citizen has the courage to make the safety of the human race their personal responsibility. Dizzy was my friend. She was a soldier. But most important, she was a citizen of the Federation.
- You're some sort of big, fat, smart-bug, aren't you?
- M.I. does the dying. Fleet just does the flying.
- Come on you apes. You want to live forever?
Lieutenant Jean Rasczak
- I need a corporal. You're it, until you're dead or I find someone better.
- Welcome to the Roughnecks
- They sucked his brains out.
- Warm it up, everything you've got. C'mon you apes, you wanna live forever?
- This is for all you new people: I only have one rule. Everyone fights. No one quits. You don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself. You get me?
- You see a bug hole, NUKE IT!
- You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never pass up a good thing.
- I expect the best and I give the best. Here's the beer. Here's the entertainment. Now have fun. That's an order.
- Figuring things out for yourself is practically the only freedom anyone really has nowadays. Use that freedom.
- What's your major malfunction, Rico?
- [dying] It's okay, Johnny, because I got to have you.
- Bugs! Bugs!
- Just tryin' to kill some bugs, sir!
- You like that?! You like that?!
- Ain't much to look at after you scrape 'em off your boot.
- I just hope it's not over before we get some.
- I'm gonna be a writer, writers got a right to be nosy.
- Have you ever seen somebody so full of himself?
- What's the point of a knife in a nuke fight?
- [After Carmen dumps Rico] Hey, you still got me to knock around.
- Don't worry, you still got me to kick around.
- Ain't it great how they want to be your friend right after they rip your guts out?
- Everybody needs a friend like me.
- That's my job you're talking about!
- I hate to be rude buddy, but rumor has it she's[Carmen] dead
- Fire in the hole!
- Sky Marshall Diennes: We must meet this threat with our valor, our blood, indeed with our very lives to ensure that human civilization, not insect, dominates this galaxy now and always!
- Zander: One day someone like me is gonna kill you and your whole fucking race!
- Lieutenant Willy: Remember your training, and you will make it out alive!
- Lieutenant Willy: We are going in with the first wave, means more bugs for us to kill. You smash the entire area, you kill anything with more than two legs. You get me?
- Career Sergeant Zim: Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT! You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?
- Carl: It's afraid. It's afraid.
- Corporal Bronski: Kid's got some moves.
- MI Trooper: Nuke 'em Johnny!
- Newsreel announcer: They'll keep fighting... and they'll WIN.
- Newsreel announcer: Everyone is doing their part. Are you?
- Newsreel announcer: Crisis for humankind. Fleet officials admit they underestimated the Arachnids' defensive capability.
- Newsreel announcer: Accepting responsibility for Klendathu, Sky Marshal Dienes resigns. His successor, Sky Marshal Tehat Maru, outlines her new strategy.
- Sky Marshal Tehat Meru: To fight the bug, we must understand the bug. We can ill afford another Klendathu.
- Newsreel announcer: Would you like to know more?
- Newsreel announcer: Every day, Federal scientists are looking for new ways to kill bugs.
- Colonel Carl Jenkins: Your basic Arachnid warrior isn't too smart, but you can blow off a limb,
- [shoots an Arachnid warrior's limb off]
- Colonel Carl Jenkins: and it's still 86 percent combat effective. Here's a tip: Aim for the nerve stem, and put it down for good.
- Newsreel announcer: Young people from all over the globe are joining up to fight for the future.
- Soldier #1: I'm doing my part.
- Soldier #2: I'm doing my part.
- Soldier #3: I'm doing my part.
- Young kid: I'm doing my part too.
- Newsreel announcer: They're doing their part. Are you? Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.
- Newsreel announcer: We have the ships. We have the weapons. We need soldiers. Soldiers like Lieutenant Stack Lumbreiser...
- Stack Lumbreiser: Over the target area now, Captain.
- Newsreel announcer: ...and Captain Carmen Ibanez.
- Carmen Ibanez: This is the captain speaking. All personnel prepare for drop.
- Newsreel announcer: Soldiers like Private Ace Levy and Lieutenant John Rico.
- Johnny Rico: Come on you apes, you wanna live forever?
- Newsreel announcer: We need you all. Service guarantees citizenship.
- Sergeant Gillespie: (trying to contact an outpost in a rocky canyon) I can't contact General Owen, sir.
- Lieutenant Rasczak: It's this terrain, get to higher ground!
(Gillespie starts climbing rocks, suddenly a bug comes out and silently grabs him)
- Lieutenant Rasczak: Sugar, your weapon!
(Sugar Watkins throws him his sniper rifle and Rasczak shoots Gillespie)
- Lieutenant Rasczak: I would expect any trooper in this unit to do the same thing for me!
- Dizzy: My mother always told me that violence doesn't solve anything.
- Jean Rasczak: Really? I wonder what the city founders of Hiroshima would have to say about that.
- Jean Rasczak: You.
- Carmen: They wouldn't say anything. Hiroshima was destroyed.
- Jean Rasczak: Correct. Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst.
"Kitten" Smith: Hey, let's get tatoos.
Johnny: What would I want a tatoo for?
Dizzy: What, your skin's too pretty?
- Carl: We thought there might be a Brain Bug on 'P'.
- Carmen: You knew and still you sent them?
- Carl: We couldn't afford to launch an operation if there wasn't one.
- Carl: You disapprove? Well, too bad! We're in this war for the species, boys and girls. It's simple numbers. They have more. And every day I have to make decisions that send hundreds of people like you to their deaths.
- Johnny Rico: Didn't they tell you, Colonel? That's what the Mobile Infantry is good for.
- Dizzy: Rico, I'm gonna die.
- Johnny Rico: No, you're not gonna die.
- Dizzy: It's OK, because I got to have you.
- Johnny Rico: This is Roughneck Two-Zero-One. I request retrieval now! This place crawls, sir!
- Radio operator: [voice] What is your location?
- Johnny Rico: Come down on this transmission.
- Radio operator: On the outpost? That's crazy!
- Johnny Rico: Well, I hope you have a crazy pilot. Out.
- Johnny Rico: Who are these kids?
- Ace Levy: We got reinforced. Most of them are fresh out of boot.
- Johnny Rico: We're the old men, Ace.
- Johnny Rico: This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job, I'll kill you myself. Welcome to the Roughnecks.
- Private Sugar Watkins: Rico's Roughnecks!
[Ace is having difficulty with throwing knives]
Ace Levy: Sir, I don't understand. What goods' a knife in a nuke fight? All you have to do is press a button, sir.
Career Sergeant Zim: Put your hand on that wall trooper.
Career Sergeant Zim: PUT YOUR HAND ON THAT WALL!
[Zim throws a knife and hits Ace's hand pinning it to the wall]
Career Sergeant Zim: The enemy can not press a button... if you have disabled his hand. Medic!
Zander: Don't exceed port speed.
Carmen: Or what?
Zander: Or they revoke your flight status... and mine.
Carmen: [Smiles] Your career is in my hands.
Private Sugar Watkins: [wounded] Gimme the nuke, sir!
Johnny Rico: You trying to be a hero, Watkins?
Private Sugar Watkins: Just trying to kill some bugs, sir!
Johnny Rico: I hear you got a bug problem ma'am?
Corporal Birdie: Ah, stuff it, Rico!
Djana'd: [Breckinridge's helmet is messing up during a training maneuver] Dammit, Breckinridge, you always screw us up, dumb shit!
Breckinridge: Maybe it's because I'm big and dumb!
Djana'd: Damn straight!
Katrina: [watching Dizzy fight Zim in hand-to-hand training] That's the kind of gal that makes squad leader.
Ace Levy: That's my job you're talking about!
Career Sergeant Zim: [after easily winning a hand-to-hand training fight against Breckinridge] How's your arm, son?
Breckinridge: Sir, I think it's broken, sir!
Career Sergeant Zim: Damn. Medic!!
[while arriving at the Fleet Station, Carmen and Zander witness the destruction the failed Klendathu invasion has caused]
Zander: [shocked] My God. How could this happen?
Carmen: We thought we were smarter than the Bugs.
Jean Rasczak: All right, let's sum up. This year in history, we talked about the failure of democracy. How the social scientists of the 21st Century brought our world to the brink of chaos. We talked about the veterans, how they took control and imposed the stability that has lasted for generations since. We talked about the rights and privileges between those who served in the armed forces and those who haven't, therefore called citizens and civilians.
[to a student]
Jean Rasczak: You. Why are only citizens allowed to vote?
Student: It's a reward. Something the federation gives you for doing federal service.
Jean Rasczak: No. Something given has no basis in value. When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence. The supreme authority from which all other authorities are derived.
- Genocide doesn't compare to this.
- Prepare for Battle
- The paratroopers of the future are here... and their enemies aren't HUMAN
- When you battle 6 trillion enemies that will eat you alive, there are only two rules... EVERYONE FIGHTS. NO ONE QUITS.
- The only good bug is a dead bug
- Mankind just became an endangered species
- Forget the insecticide, bring on the nukes!
- You can't step on these ones
- In Every age their is a cause worth fighting for, but in the future the greatest threat to our survival will not be man at all. Now the youth of tomorrow must travel across the stars to face an enemy more devastating then any ever imagined.
- They Came to Our Planet, They destroyed our cities, But on November 7th, They'll learn, They messed, With the wrong species.
- This Fall, Tristar Pictures takes you to the front lines of the next frontier.
- Casper Van Dien — Johnny Rico
- Dina Meyer — Dizzy Flores
- Denise Richards — Carmen Ibanez
- Jake Busey — Private Ace Levy
- Neil Patrick Harris — Colonel Carl Jenkins
- Clancy Brown — Career Sergeant Zim
- Seth Gilliam — Private Sugar Watkins
- Patrick Muldoon — Zander Barcalow
- Michael Ironside — Lieutenant Jean Rasczak
- Marshall Bell — General Owen
- Lenore Kasdorf — Mrs. Rico