Every little girl knows about love. It is only her capacity to suffer because of it that increases.Francoise Sagan
- Tacitumque a principe vulgus
dissidet, et, qui mos populis, venturus amatur.
- The crowd is at silent odds with the prince. As is the way of a populace, the man of the future is the favourite.
- Bk. 1, line 169
- Pessimus in dubiis augur, timor.
- Fear (in times of doubt the worst of prophets) revolves many things.
- Bk. 3, line 6
- Quid crastina volveret aetas
scire nefas homini.
- What the morrow's years might bring 'twas sin for man to know.
- Bk. 3, line 562
- Primus in orbe deos fecit timor.
- Fear first made gods in the world.
- Bk. 3, line 661
- These words also appear in a fragmentary poem attributed to Petronius.