Life is like riding a bicycle. You don't fall off unless you stop peddling.Claude D. Pepper
Quotations about the Sun.
- Hold somebody's hand and feel its warmth. Gram per gram, it converts 10 000 times more energy per second that the sun. You find this hard to believe? Here are the numbers: an average human weighs 70 kilograms and consumes about 12 600 kilojoules / day; that makes about 2 millijoules / gram.second, or 2 milliwatts / gram. For the sun it's miserable 0.2 microjoules / gram.second. Some bacteria, such as the soil bacterium "Azotobacter" convert as much as 10 joules / gram.second, outperformung the sunby a factor 50 million. I am wam because inside each of my body cells there are dozens, hundreds or even tousands of mitochondria that burn the food I eat.
- Law, say the gardeners, is the sun,
Law is the one
All gardeners obey
To-morrow, yesterday, to-day.
- W. H. Auden: Law, Say The Gardeners, Is The Sun
- Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness!
Close bosom friend of the maturing sun
- John Keats: Ode to Autumn
- 9:13, Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal. I was terrified, alone in that darkness. Slowly daylight crept in through the bandages, and I could see, but something else had changed inside of me. That day I had my first headache.
- Keep your eyes on the sun and you will not see the shadows.
- Like our shadows, Our wishes lengthen as our sun declines.
- Make hay while the sun shines.
- The sun is the king of torches.