Texas Longhorn Athletics
Love laughs at locksmiths.Proverb
This page is for quotes about Texas Longhorn athletic teams.
About the 2005 National Championship team
- Former Texas head coach Darrell Royal - "Amazing," Darrell Royal said quietly. "There's just no other word for it. Amazing.", commenting on the Rose Bowl.
- USC head coach Pete Carroll - "The quarterback just ran all over the place," he said. "He's a fantastic player. He was the difference. And how classic was it," Carroll added, "that he ran it in on the last play?"
- USC head coach Pete Carroll - [speaking about Vince Young] "That's the best single-game performance I've ever had against me."
- Texas head coach Mack Brown - "We never, ever, really thought we'd lose the ballgame,"
- Texas quarterback Vince Young - "It's so beautiful," Young said as he received the MVP crystal. "Don't you think that's beautiful? It's coming home all the way to Austin, Texas, baby."
- USC quarterback Matt Leinart - "This is what it's all about, 41-38 in the final game," said Leinart, the Trojans quarterback and Heisman winner a year ago. "You couldn't ask for anything better. This was a great football game. We gave our hearts, they gave their hearts, and they came out on top."
- Dennis Dodd of CBS SportsLine.com - "What you saw Wednesday night was the best player in University of Texas history. That's the state university of the state that thinks it invented the game."
- Dodd, Dennis. "Young just may be the biggest, best in Texas history", CBS SportsLine.com, 2006-01-05. URL accessed on 2006-01-10.
- After the Rose Bowl, former USC and NFL safety Ronnie Lott said "Vince Young is the greatest quarterback to ever play college football".
- John Ryan - San Jose Mercury News - "when the Rose Bowl chooses their "all century team", the quarterback will not be from the Big-10 or Pac-10, it will be Vince Young of Texas."
- Mathew Zemek - Fox Sports - "In a once-in-a-lifetime national championship game, Vince Young became a once-in-a-lifetime college football legend...Vince Young is easily the greatest single player in the history of the Rose Bowl (a mouthful of a statement in its own right), and likely the owner of the greatest single-game performance in the 137-year history of Division I-A college football."
- Jay Leno - Tonight Show host - "We have Vince Young on the show tonight...We were able to do something USC couldn't do, we grabbed him."
- "But the two head coaches bring vastly divergent philosophies to the table, and it seems to be a pivotal reason that OU has won four conference titles in Stoops' previous eight seasons, while Texas has won just one in Brown's nine. Stoops calls a spade a spade. Mack calls it an elongated tool for digging soil."
- Bohls, Kirk on the coaching philosophy of Mack Brown and Bob Stoops. Bohls, Kirk, "Stoops, Brown polar opposites : One demands accountability; other pats backs", Austin American-Statesman, 2007-10-05. URL accessed on 2007-10-05.