The Age of Innocence (film)
We are not to make the ideas of contentment and aspiration quarrel, for God made them fast friends. A man may aspire, and yet be quite content until it is time to raise; and both flying and resting are but parts of one contentment. The very fruit of the gospel is aspiration. It is to the heart what spring is to the earth, making every root, and bud, and bough desire to be more. -Henry Ward Beecher
- Directed by Martin Scorsese. Written by Martin Scorsese and Jay Cocks. Based on the novel by Edith Wharton.
- Newland, you couldn't be happy if it meant being cruel. If we act any other way, I'll be making you act against what I love in you most. And I can't go back to that way of thinking. Don't you see! I can't love you unless I give you up.
- How can we be happy behind the backs of people who trust us?
- Ellen Olenska: I think we should look at reality, not dreams.
- Newland Archer: I just want us to be together!
- Ellen Olenska: I can't be your wife, Newland! Is it your idea that I should live with you as a mistress?
- Newland Archer: I want... Somehow, I want to get away with you... and... and find a world where words like that don't exist!
- Ellen Olenska: I knew you'd come.
- Newland Archer: That shows you wanted me to.
- Newland Archer: Honest? Isn't that why you admire Julius Beauford? He was more honest than the rest of us, wasn't he, we've got no character, no color, no variety. I wonder why you just don't go back to Europe.
- Ellen Olenska: I believe that's because of you.
- Newland Archer: You gave me my first glimpse of a real life. Then you asked me to go on with the false one. No one can endure it.
- Ellen Olenska: I'm enduring it.
- Ellen Olenska: Is New York such a labyrinth? I thought it was all straight up and down like Fifth Avenue. All the cross streets numbered and big honest labels on everything.
- Newland Archer: Everything is labeled, but everybody is not.
- Ellen Olenska: Then I must count on you for warnings too.
- Ellen Olenska: Is fashion such a serious consideration?
- Newland Archer: Among those who have nothing more serious to consider.
- Newland Archer: We should travel everywhere.
- Louisa van der Luyden: But not Naples. Doctor Bencomb says there is fever there.
|Daniel Day-Lewis||Newland Archer|
|Michelle Pfeiffer||Countess Ellen Olenska|
|Winona Ryder||May Welland|
|Joanne Woodward||Narrator (voice)|
|Alexis Smith||Louisa van der Luyden|
|Geraldine Chaplin||Mrs. Welland|
|Mary Beth Hurt||Regina Beauford|
|Alec McGowan||Sillerton Jackson|
|Richard E. Grant||Larry Lefferts|
|Miriam Margolyes||Mrs. Mingott|
|Robert Sean Leonard||Ted Archer|
|Sian Phillips||Mrs. Archer|
|Michael Gough||Henry van der Luyden|
|Stuart Wilson||Julius Beauford|