The Big Lebowski
The Big Lebowski is a 1998 film about an amiable unemployed slacker, The Dude, and his close friends, all fond of their nights at the local bowling alley, who are drawn into a Chandleresque plot involving the missing younger wife of a millionaire namesake. I
Jeffrey 'The Dude' Lebowski
- Look, let me explain something. I'm not Mr. Lebowski. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That or His Dudeness... Duder... or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing.
- Well, sir, it's this rug I have. It really tied the room together.
- Yeah, well, y'know, that's just, like, uh... your opinion, man.
- This is a very complicated case, Maude. You know, a lotta ins, a lotta outs, a lotta what-have-yous. And, uh, lotta strands to keep in my head, man. Lotta strands in old Duder's head.
- The Dude abides.
- What the fuck are you talking about? The Chinaman is not the issue here, Dude. I'm talking about drawing a line in the sand, Dude. Across this line, you DO NOT... Also, Dude, Chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. "Asian-American", please.
- Donny, you're out of your element!
- Smokey, my friend... you're entering a world of pain.
- Shut the fuck up, Donny.
- Saturday, Donny, is Shabbas, the Jewish day of rest. That means I don't work, I don't drive a car, I don't fuckin' ride in a car, I don't handle money, I don't turn on the oven and I sure as shit don't fucking roll!
- Shomer Shabbas!
- Do you see what happens, Larry, WHEN YOU FUCK A STRANGER IN THE ASS? (proceeds to smash up what he believes is Larry's new Corvette parked in the street) THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS LARRY! THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU FUCK A STRANGER IN THE ASS!
- Of course they were Nazis, Donny; they were threatening castration! Are we gonna split hairs here? Am I wrong?
- Say what you like about the tenets of National Socialism, Dude, at least it's an ethos.
- Sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause what's a hero? But sometimes, there's a man – and I'm talkin' about the Dude here – sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude. In Los Angeles. And even if he's a lazy man – and the Dude was most certainly that, quite possibly the laziest in Los Angeles County, which would place him high in the runnin' for laziest worldwide – Sometimes there's a man... Sometimes, there's a man. Ah, I lost my train of thought here. But... aw, hell. I done introduced him enough.
- Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody fucks with The Jesus.
- They figured he was a lazy time wasting slacker. They were right.
- Her life was in their hands. Now her toe is in the mail.
- Times like these call for a Big Lebowski.
- It takes guys as simple as the Dude and Walter to make a story this complicated... and they'd really rather be bowling.
- Lebowski: Not a man, a way of life.
- Jeff Bridges - Jeffrey Lebowski - "The Dude"
- John Goodman - Walter Sobchak
- Julianne Moore - Maude Lebowski
- Steve Buscemi - Theodore Donald 'Donny' Kerabatsos
- David Huddleston - Jeffrey Lebowski
- Philip Seymour Hoffman - Brandt
- Tara Reid - 'Bunny' Lebowski
- Philip Moon - Woo (aka/"The China man")
- Mark Pellegrino - Blond
- Peter Stormare - Nihilist #1, Uli Kunkel
- Flea - Nihilist #2, Kieffer
- Torsten Voges - Nihilist #3, Franz
- John Turturro - Jesus Quintana
- Dom Irrera - Tony
- Jon Polito - Da Fino
- Ben Gazzara - Jackie Treehorn
- Sam Elliott - The Stranger