The Blues Brothers
The Blues Brothers is a 1980 comedy film featuring The Blues Brothers Band. Jake and Elwood Blues, two blues singers and petty criminals, must stage a concert to save the orphanage in which they grew up.
- [Start of the song "Everybody Needs Somebody"] We're so glad to see so many of you lovely people here tonight. And we would especially like to welcome all the representatives of Illinois's law enforcement community who have chosen to join us here in the Palace Hotel Ballroom at this time. We do sincerely hope you all enjoy the show, and please remember people that no matter who you are and what you do to live, thrive and survive there are still some things that make us all the same. You, me, them, everybody, everybody!
'Joliet' Jake Blues
- [to The Mystery Woman] I ran outta gas! I had a flat tire! I didn't have enough money for cab fare! My tux didn't come back from the cleaners! An old friend came in from outta town! Someone stole my car! There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts!! It wasn't my fault I swear to God!!!
- The "Penguin": You two are such a disappointing pair. I prayed so hard for you. It saddens and hurts me to think that the two boys I raised to believe in The Ten Commandments have returned to me as thieves, with filthy mouths and bad attitudes! GET OUT, and DON'T COME BACK...until you've redeemed yourselves.
- Donald "Duck" Dunn: We had a band powerful enough to turn goat piss into gasoline.
- Claire: [When asked what music is played at Bob's Country Bunker] Oh we got both kinds. We got Country and Western.
- The Mystery Woman: [to Jake] You contemptible pig! I remained celibate for you. I stood at the back of a cathedral, waiting, in celibacy, for you, with three hundred friends and relatives in attendance. My uncle hired the best Romanian caterers in the state. To obtain the seven limousines for the wedding party, my father used up his last favor with Mad Pete Trullo. So for me, for my mother, my grandmother, my father, my uncle, and for the common good, I must now kill you, and your brother.
- Police Dispatcher: Use of unnecessary violence in apprehension of the Blues Brothers... has been approved.
- [Jake and Elwood are arguing about the new Bluesmobile]
- Jake: What is this?
- Elwood: What's what?
- Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy, where's the Caddy?
- Elwood The what?
- Jake: The Cadillac we used to have! The Bluesmobile!
- Elwood Traded it.
- Jake: You traded the Bluesmobile for this piece of shit?
- Elwood: No ... for a microphone.
- Jake: A microphone? [pause] Okay, I can see that. But what the hell is this?
- Elwood: I picked it up at the Mount Prospect police auction last spring. It's an old Mount Prospect police car. They were practically giving them away.
- Jake: Well thank you, pal. The day I get out of prison, my own brother comes to pick me up in a police car.
- Elwood You don't like it?
- Jake [pause] No, I don't like it.
- Elwood: It's a hundred and six miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
- Jake: Hit it.
- Jake: First you trade the Cadilac for a microphone, then you lie to me about the band, and now you're gonna put me right back in the joint!
- Elwood: They're not gonna catch us. We're on a mission from God!
- Mrs. Murphy: We got two honkies out there, dressed like Hasidic diamond merchants.
- Matt "Guitar" Murphy: Say what?
- Mrs. Murphy: They look like they're from the CIA, or somethin'.
- Matt "Guitar" Murphy: What they want to eat?
- Mrs. Murphy: The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
- Matt "Guitar" Murphy: Elwood.
- Mrs. Murphy: And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
- Matt "Guitar" Murphy: And Jake. Shit, the Blues Brothers!
- They'll never get caught. They're on a mission from God.
- They're back.
- The most dangerous combination since nitro and glycerine.
- The show that really hits the road.
- A briefcase full of blues.
- Dan Aykroyd - Elwood Blues
- John Belushi - 'Joliet' Jake Blues
- James Brown - Reverend Cleophus James
- Cab Calloway - Curtis
- Ray Charles - Ray
- Aretha Franklin - Mrs. Murphy
- Steve Cropper - Steve 'The Colonel' Cropper
- Donald Dunn - Donald 'Duck' Dunn
- Murphy Dunne - Murphy 'Murph' Dunne
- Willie Hall - Willie 'Too Big' Hall
- Tom Malone - Tom 'Bones' Malone
- Lou Marini - 'Blue Lou' Marini
- Matt Murphy - Matt 'Guitar' Murphy
- Alan Rubin - Alan 'Mr. Fabulous' Rubin
- Carrie Fisher - Mystery Woman
- Henry Gibson - Head Nazi
- John Candy - Burton Mercer
- Kathleen Freeman - Sister Mary Stigmata (a.k.a. The Penguin)
- Steve Lawrence - Maury Sline
- Twiggy - Chic Lady
- Frank Oz - Corrections Officer
- Jeff Morris - Bob
- Charles Napier - Tucker McElroy