The Bonfire of the Vanities
Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.William Butler Yeats
- Sir Gerald Moore: I was at dinner last evening, and halfway through the pudding, this four-year-old child came alone, dragging a little toy cart. And on the cart was a fresh turd. Her own, I suppose. The parents just shook their heads and smiled. I've made a big investment in you, Peter. Time and money, and it's not working. Now, I could just shake my head and smile. But in my house, when a turd appears, we throw it out. We dispose of it. We flush it away. We don't put it on the table and call it caviar.
- Peter Fallow: If you're going to live in a whorehouse, there's only one thing you can do: be the best damn whore around.
- Peter Fallow: Caroline, you devil.
- Caroline Heftshank: Peter, you pig!
- Judge Leonard White: Let me tell you what justice is. Justice is the law. And the law is man's feeble attempt to lay down the principles of decency. Decency! And decency isn't a deal, it's not a contract or a hustle or an angle! Decency... decency is what your grandmother taught you. It's in your bones!
- Take one Wall Street tycoon, his Fifth Avenue mistress, a reporter hungry for fame, and make the wrong turn in the Bronx... then sit back and watch the sparks fly.
- An outrageous story about greed, lust vanity in America.
|Tom Hanks||Sherman McCoy|
|Bruce Willis||Peter Fallow|
|Melanie Griffith||Maria Ruskin|
|Kim Cattrall||Judy McCoy|
|Saul Rubinek||Jed Kramer|
|Morgan Freeman||Judge Leonard White|
|Kevin Dunn||Tom Killian|
|Clifton James||Albert Fox|
|Louis Giambalvo||Ray Andruitti|
|Donald Moffat||Mr. McCoy|
|Alan King||Arthur Ruskin|