The Butterfly Effect
The Butterfly Effect is a 2004 film about a young man who blacks out harmful memories of significant events of his life. As he grows up he finds a way to remember these lost memories and a supernatural way to alter his life.
It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world.
- Chaos Theory
- If anyone finds this, it means my plan didn't work and I'm already dead. But if I can somehow go back to the beginning of all of this, I might be able to save her.
- Wrong answer, fuck bag.
- Tell me the Greek alphabet. Huh huh huh? Alpha beta...
- [to the neo-Nazi inmates] So, should I suck your dick now?
- [upon discovering his armlessness] What the fuck is this?
- [Evan's note to Kayleigh] I'll come back for you.
- [to Kayleigh] I've already lost you once, I'm not gonna lose you again.
- Yeah, you remember me? We had a nice chat once when I was seven...
- Jesus speaks to me in my dreams.
- I guess charisma and eyeliner go a long way.
- If I can make scars, do I have the power to heal them? What about Kayleigh's scars?
- Nothing ever gets better.
- [Evan tells Kayleigh to cover her ears]
- Evan at 7: What time is it?
- Mr. George Miller: It's time for you to do what I tell you to do...
- Evan at 7: Wrong answer fuck bag. This is the very moment of your reckoning. In the next 30 seconds you're gonna open 1 of 2 doors. The first door will forever traumatize your own flesh and blood.
- Mr. George Miller: What's happening, how are you doing this?
- Evan at 7: It'll change your daughter from a beautiful child into an empty shell. Whose only concept of trust was betrayed by her own sick pedophile father. Ultimately... it'll lead to her suicide. Nice work Daddy.
- Mr. George Miller: Who are you?
- Evan at 7: Let's just say you're being closely watched, George. Your other option is... to treat Kayleigh like, say like a loving father treats his daughter. Sound okay to you, Papa?
- Mr. George Miller: Yes.
- Evan at 7: Listen close then fuckbag. You screw this up again - I'll flat-out castrate you. What you need to do, is discipline your son Tommy cause the kid is one sadistic pup. One last thing...
- [Evan whispers something in Kayleigh's ear]
- Kayleigh at 7: [yelling at her father] Don't ever touch me again!
- Mr. George Miller: I won't.
- [after handless Evan has just tried to commit suicide by drowning himself in the bathtub]
- Tommy: You forgot to put the toaster on the ledge.
- Evan: Lenny likes Poptarts. You guys are all the better now.
- Tommy: I know it's hard but you can't give up.
- Evan: I can't even fucking kill myself.
- Tommy: Don't talk like that.
- Thumper: Maybe there's a reason you've repressed the day some pervert had you in your tighty-whities.
- [glances at Evan's journals]
- Thumper: Hey Man, I'd think twice about what you're doing. You could wake up a lot more fucked up than you are now.
- Evan: More fucked up than I am? You think you know me? I don't even know me!
- Kayleigh Miller: Where'd you learn those new tricks?
- Evan: What? It... it wasn't... weird... was it?
- Kayleigh Miller: Yeah, if you call multiple orgasms weird!
- Evan: I just thought that you should know.
- Kayleigh Miller: Know what?
- Evan: That you were happy once... with me.
- Kayleigh Miller: You know there's one major hole in your story, there is no fucking way on this planet, nor any other I would ever be in some fucking sorority.
- Evan: [Whispering] You were happy there...
- [Evan visits Kayleigh, who has now become a prostitute]
- Kayleigh: So, how's tricks? Sorry, occupational humor.
- Evan: I got it.
- [in the reality where Kayleigh is with Lenny]
- Evan: So, do you think it might have worked?
- Kayleigh: Yeah... But that's not how things wound up... I'm with Lenny, Lenny is your friend... and that's where it ends.
- Evan: Whoa... Would it make a difference if I told you that no one could possibly ever love anyone as much as I love you?
- [Kayleigh is flattered by Evan's compliment]
- Evan: ...I am not saying that, I am just saying it like if you were a girl, would that be something you would want to hear?
- Evan: Where's Kayleigh?
- Lenny: Who's Kayleigh?
- [Evan looks confused]
- Lenny: You want me to take you to the doctor?
- Evan: No, I think everything's gonna be all right this time.
- [time traveling Evan at age 7 threatens George Miller with a lighted stick of dynamite]
- Mr. George Miller: Evan! Put that out, or you'll blow off both your hands!
- Evan at 7: Been there, done that.
- Kayleigh: Here, do you want a granola bar?
- [Evan fumbles with it as she tries to put the granola bar into his prosthetic hand, and breaks the granola bar in half]
- Evan: Yeah, I gotta fix these things or something.
- Change one thing, change everything.
- Such minor changes, such huge consequences.
- The end is only the beginning.
- Ashton Kutcher - Evan Treborn
- Melora Walters - Andrea Treborn
- Amy Smart - Kayleigh Miller
- Elden Henson - Lenny Kagan
- William Lee Scott - Tommy Miller
- John Patrick Amedori - Evan Treborn at 13
- Irene Gorovaia - Kayleigh Miller at 13
- Kevin Schmidt - Lenny at 13
- Jesse James (actor) - Tommy Miller at 13
- Logan Lerman - Evan Treborn at 7
- Sarah Widdows - Kayleigh Miller at 7
- Jake Kaese - Lenny Kagan at 7
- Cameron Bright - Tommy Miller at 7
- Eric Stoltz - George Miller
- Callum Keith Rennie - Jason Treborn